Concurrent Enrollment
UC San Diego Extension
Test Preparation

UCSD Extension Concurrent Enrollment


Concurrent enrollment is open to anyone who has completed high school. Students currently attending high school should consult their high school principal or counselor to obtain written approval, which must accompany their registration card. The approval must be signed by a school official on school letterhead.

Students who were dismissed from the University of California or who have withdrawn from a UC while on academic or disciplinary probation are not eligible for concurrent enrollment.

Students academically disqualified from UCSD may be eligible for the UCSD College Readmission Concurrent Enrollment program. Those students should contact their college academic advising office for more information.

Please contact (858) 534-3420 or for more information.


Price per Unit

  • $272* Current UC undergraduates ONLY
  • $340* All other visiting students (e.g. US college/university students, high school students, current UC graduate students, UCSD alumni)

*Course fees are subject to change without notice.

Some Biology, Chemistry, and Physics courses may require a mandatory $75 lab fee in addition to the course fee.

Courses utilizing TED will be subject to a mandatory, non-refundable $50 charge per course.

There are no discounts for the concurrent program. UCSD Extension does not offer financial aid to concurrent students.

Enrollment Process and Payments
  1. You should review the concurrent enrollment deadlines. Make sure to take note of any refund deadlines, which do differ from drop/withdraw deadlines. Concurrent enrollment cards will not be accepted before the first day of the quarter, and all cards are due by the Friday of week three.
    The enrollment period for the Concurrent Enrollment program is only open during Fall, Winter, and Spring quarters ONLY. For Summer quarter enrollments, please contact the UCSD Summer Session Office at (858) 534-5258 or
  2. Choose the courses you would like to take. Browse courses using the schedule of UCSD classes found on TritonLink.
  3. Pick up or print out a concurrent add form. You can pick forms up from the Student Services office, Bldg. C at the UCSD Extension Complex.
  4. Fill out the concurrent add form with your information and the information for the course you would like to take. Students must have one form per course.
  5. Obtain the appropriate instructor signature and/or department stamp, as dictated by the tables below. For any department not listed, obtain the instructor's signature.
    • Department stamp AND instructor signature:
      Anthropology, Bioengineering, Biology, Comp Science & Eng. (CSE)*, Computing and the Arts, Economics**, Education Studies, Environmental Studies, Environmental Systems (Upper Division), FPM/FPMU, History (Undergraduate), Human Development Program, School of Global Policy & Strategy, Japanese Studies, Mathematics, Mech. & Aerospace Eng. (MAE), Music, Physics, Psychology, SIO (Upper Division & Graduate), Sociology, Structural Engineering, Theatre & Dance (Undergraduate), Visual Arts
    • Department Stamp ONLY:
      Chemistry & Biochemistry, Cognitive Science, Culture, Art & Technology Program (Sixth College), Economics (Undergraduate), Electrical & Computer Eng. (ECE)***, History (Graduate), Humanities, International Studies Program, Nanoengineering/Chemical Eng., Political Science, Rady School of Management****
    • *The CSE department has their own online process for approving Extension students to enroll in CSE courses through Concurrent Enrollment.
    • **The Economics department maintains a sign-up sheet for Extension students registering through Concurrent Enrollment in undergraduate economics courses.
    • ***The ECE Department has their own Concurrent Enrollment Policy for approving Extension students to enroll in ECE courses.
    • ****Rady School of Management allows concurrent enrollment in many of their undergraduate courses. To enroll, Extension students must follow the process laid out on their website.
    • ***** Students wishing to take a Chemistry course should refer to the Chemistry and Biochemistry department website here.
  6. Return your completed form, with all appropriate signatures and/or stamps, to the Student Services office, Bldg. C at the UCSD Extension Complex. All cards must be turned in by the Friday of week three, no exceptions.
  7. Full payment is due at the time of enrollment. Please have payment for the course ready when the form is turned in. Accepted method of payments: major credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover and Diners Club), cash, check, or money order.
TED/WebCT Access

For classes where the instructor has requested TED access, there will be a mandatory, non-refundable $50 fee due at the time of enrollment. Former UCSD students will not be able to use their old AX account. They will need to request a new account through UCSD Extension.

For first-time TED access, students will need to come in to the UCSD Extension Student Services office. Please note: it is not mandatory to pay for a concurrent enrollment course before getting access to TED. Students can request TED access at any point in the first three weeks of the quarter. However, if students do not come back to pay for courses by the published deadlines, TED access will be shut off.

For returning concurrent enrollment students who already have an AX account, students only need to add new classes to the existing account. This can be done at any time. Students do not need to wait until they have paid concurrent course fees to add new classes to an existing TED account.

For troubleshooting and technical help, please contact the ACMS Help Desk at or by phone at (858) 534–2267.

Non-immigrant International Students

Are you a non-immigrant international student who needs to be enrolled into full-time studies to satisfy a visa requirement or to further your educational goals? If you are a non-immigrant international student and you would like to enroll in a full-time study program of university credit-bearing classes, visit University and Professional Studies (UPS) or contact for details.

The UPS program is for non-immigrant international students who wish to take a full-time load of university and university extension credit-bearing courses. If you are unsure of whether or not you need to be enrolled into a full-time program to maintain the requirements of your visa, please contact our Immigration Advisor, Olga Piro, at

Admission to the University of California and non-matriculated students

Participating in a UC San Diego Extension educational program does not in itself provide preference in admission to the University of California degree programs. Students interested in applying to UC degree programs should refer to the UC Admissions website or the admissions office of the UC campus they wish to attend for details about the admissions process.

Course Restrictions

Individual study classes numbered 197, 198, 199, 298, 299 or seminars require special approval. Students must attain an instructor signature and departmental stamp approval on the Concurrent Enrollment registration card and department petition form.

Disability Support Services

UCSD Extension concurrent enrollment provides academic support services to students with qualifying and documented disabilities. Learn more about disability support services.


Student may withdraw from concurrent courses in accordance with the deadlines. To change or withdraw from a course, students will need to submit the request in writing. Requests can be made in person at the UC San Diego Extension Student Services office or via email to

Failure to file a drop request will result in an "F' for the course. Non-attendance in class or notifying the instructor does not constitute official course withdrawal.

ID Cards/Library Privileges

You may purchase a student affiliate ID card for $15. This will allow you library privileges when accompanied with an ID card receipt. Concurrent enrollment students are eligible for Level 3 library privileges. Learn more about UCSD's Libraries.


Students are responsible for purchasing a parking permit or using metered space, except on weekends when parking is free. Permits may be purchased at Pay Stations located in parking lots or at the Gilman parking structure Transportation Office. Learn more about parking at UC San Diego.


Concurrent students earn full academic credit and participate in courses as regular UCSD students, subject to the same conditions, requirements, and standards. Unless enrolling on a non-credit basis, students may take courses either for a letter grade or pass/no pass grade (pass is a C- or better). Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory grading is intended for use for graduate level classes only.

Concurrent Students may take up to 18 units per quarter. Additional units may be obtained by petition.


Refunds will be granted minus a $25.00 processing fee for each course if the refund request is submitted by the refund deadline. Tech and lab fees are non-refundable. Refund request must be submitted in writing either in person or via email to


UCSD Extension maintains a transcript for each student, listing all completed course, grades and credit earned. Transcripts must be requested in writing and cost $15 per copy.


Concurrent units are transferable to many academic institutions. Units transferred to UCSD will be accepted as unit credit toward graduation but will not be averaged into a student's UCSD grade-point average.