UCSD Extension offers three major areas of service: professional education and training, cultural enrichment, and regional economic solutions. If you are a journalist developing an article and need additional resources for any of these areas such as interview leads or background material, please contact Jennifer Davies at email@example.com.
UC San Diego Extended Studies and Public Programs
Fact Sheet (2014)
At UC San Diego Extension, we believe great social and economic prosperity comes from integrating the collective knowledge of the university, community leaders and professionals.
UC San Diego Extension focuses on integrating knowledge in four areas that enable the San Diego region to reap the benefits of today's dynamic changes and shifting global realities:
- Assuring a globally competitive talent pool
- Accelerating economic vitality
- Fostering community-building conversations
- Improving quality of life for all citizens
As the continuing education and public program arm of the university, Extension plays a major role in the quality of life and economic vitality of the San Diego region and state of California. Extension strives to combine local impact with national reputation and global reach.
As part of the new knowledge-based economy, Extension is recognized nationally and internationally for linking the community to expert professionals and the knowledge resources of the university. Innovative programs such as Global CONNECT(TM) and San Diego Dialogue play a key role in connecting disparate communities by conducting timely research and providing new business assistance to regions around the world, including our own San Diego-Baja California region.
UCSD Extension By The Numbers
- Extension assures a globally competitive talent pool by educating 54,000 enrollees a year, which translates to 33,000 students in nearly 5,000 courses. For the convenience of working adults, most courses are held evenings and weekends on the UC San Diego main campus and the Extension University City Center.
- Extension offers about 100 certificate programs and 12 specialized study programs.
- About 85 percent of Extension students have at least a college degree or higher, and about half have graduate or post-graduate degrees. Students range in age from 15 (pre-college students in Academic Connections who spend summers at UC San Diego) to 80+ (the young at heart retirees in the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute).
- Extension enhances the international reach and global integration of the university and the region by annually serving more than 2,200 visiting students from more than 45 countries and through the rapidly growing online learning course offerings.
- Since 1966, Extension has delivered the education and training that has shaped this region as a premiere life sciences and technology innovator. With just over 100 offerings in its first year, to more than 2,000 annually, Extension represents a vibrant nexus of new classes and programs attracting both organizations and individuals alike. Offerings range from leading-edge courses and professional certificates, to degree-related programs and customized on-site training.
- Though an integral part of UC San Diego, Extension does not receive any state support. As a not-for-profit public service organization, Extension relies on the revenue it generates from fees, contracts, grants and the generous assistance of sponsors and other donors. Annual revenues from these sources are approximately $35 million, Our instructor base of more than 1,500 faculty members and expert professionals has an annual payroll of more than $6 million.
Programs of Distinction
Assuring a globally competitive talent pool
- Designed in partnership with leaders in the pharmaceutical and biomedical research industry, the Clinical Trials and search Programs was started in 1998. This signature program offers specialized certificates in clinical trials administration and clinical trials design and management.
- The UC San Diego Online Learning program develops and delivers courses using online technology for the university as well as other strategically selected organizations. Through partnerships with the main campus and the school of medicine, online learning makes the UCSD educational experience available to students from 28 states, Canada, Mexico, Europe, India and China.
- Known globally as a leader in life and health science continuing education, Extension offers 150 courses throughout the year including signature programs in medicinal chemistry, pharmaceutical development and systems biology that attract enrollees from around the world.
- Our newest of four master's degrees, the joint Health Law Master's Degree conferred by UC San Diego and California Western School of Law is the first of its kind in the Western United States. The Health Law Master's Degree equips participants with a comprehensive understanding of scientific, ethical, regulatory and management practices that intersect the healthcare and legal arenas.
- Funded by the US Department of Labor, Extension's OSHA Training Institute offers high quality, standards-based OSHA training to employers from across the United States. OSHA's role is to assure the safety of American workers by setting and enforcing workplace safety and health standards.
- Extension provides customized corporate training for large-scale companies such as Hewlett-Packard, Sony, Sempra Energy, Northrup-Grumman, SAIC, Raytheon, Sea World, Disney, Callaway Golf and Pfizer, or come to us for EPSE and LAMP.
Accelerating economic vitality
- Global CONNECT assists with the development of worldwide technology commercialization and facilitates US market-entry. The program is an outgrowth of the highly successful CONNECT program, which was spawned by UC San Diego Extension.
Fostering community-building conversations
- Thomas Jefferson said the best protection for the nation is an informed citizenry. In accordance with a major gift from a late philanthropist, the Helen Edison Lecture Series presents ongoing free public lectures on issues that advance humanitarian purposes and objectives. Attended annually by thousands, speakers have included such distinguished speakers as the 14th Dalai Lama, author Siddhartha Mukherjee, scientist/author Jared Diamond, travel author Pico Iyer, cancer researcher/philanthropist Patrick Soon-Shiong, former Vice President Al Gore, green jobs author Van Jones, Nobel Peace Prize winner Muhammad Yunus, linguistic scholar Noam Chomsky, former secretary of defense Robert McNamara, Nobel Prize in Literature winner Toni Morrison and Hispanic dramatist Luis Valdez, to name a few.
Improving quality of life
- UCSD-TV is offered on cable, online, and on-demand. Locally UCSD-TV reaches 1 million homes with award-winning, in-depth information on a variety of topics including public affairs, health and medicine, humanities, science, arts and music and world cinema. Additionally, Extension also manages UC-TV, which provides similar services for the entire University of California and nationally reaches about 22 million homes. UCTV's 1,000 hours of programming represents Google Video's largest collection of educational video content.
- Extension is home to Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, a community educational outreach program serving the retired community in San Diego County. OLLI combines the academic strength of UC San Diego with community-based expertise to offer more than 100 classes a year in a broad spectrum of subjects. OLLI has more than 525 members 50 years or older who attend programs taught by distinguished active and emeritus faculty, scholars and professionals in the field.