California Clear Credential (SB 2042)
SB 2042 Clear Credential Program
The State of California mandates that all teachers must hold a valid California Teaching Credential, which authorizes them to provide classroom instruction. Credentials are offered on a preliminary basis. Each new teacher must complete the requirements based upon the preliminary to clear a teaching credential within a specified five year time period in order to remain a K-12 teacher within the California Public Education System. A university sponsored SB 2042 Fifth Year Clear Credential Program is one method for SB 2042 preliminary credential holders to clear their teaching credentials.
Our SB 2042 Clear Credential program is designed for public, charter and private school teachers who are employed in a school or district that do not have an Induction program. Applicants must hold a valid preliminary single or multiple subject credential. Applicants must also provide the CL-855 form Verification of Unavailability of a Commission-Approved Induction Program signed by their employing agency.
Candidates with a Ryan preliminary credential are also eligible for this program, but will be required to complete the SB 2042 Clear Credential required coursework.
"Learning never exhausts the mind"
—Leonardo da Vinci
Preliminary Single & Multiple Subject Credential
While USCD Extension does not offer a program to earn your Preliminary Single & Multiple Subject Teaching Credential, we do offer courses approved by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing to fulfill the requirements of many Preliminary Single & Multiple Subject Teaching Credentials.
In order to fulfill your Preliminary Single & Multiple Subject Credential requirements, you may take the coursework at UCSD Extension. It is strongly advised that you verify the required coursework with the institution you plan to earn your Preliminary Single & Multiple Subject Credential.
Clear Single & Multiple Subject Credential
UCSD Extension offers courses approved by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing to fulfill the requirements of most Clear Single & Multiple Subject Teaching Credentials.
Participants must have an application on file prior to enrolling in these courses.
The program provides:
- The required Clear Credential courses
- A Planned Course of Study
- Student advisement and clear credential recommendation upon completion
Formal Recommendation to CCTC
After completion of the requirements in your Planned Course of Study for the Clear Credential, candidates must submit the following materials to initiate the online recommendation process.
- A completed Credentialing Recommend Request form.
- A processing fee to UCSD is no longer required.
- Official transcript(s) verifying completion of all coursework in your Planned Courses of Study. (This includes any coursework completed at UCSD Extension.)
- Candidates will be required to submit a processing fee directly to the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing upon recommendation for the Clear Credential program. (This fee must be submitted through the Commission’s online recommendation system and can be made by credit card only.)