Student Services Frequently Asked Questions
UC San Diego Extension
View Preferences

Frequently Asked Questions

Browse our help topics below for assistance with specific questions.


UC San Diego is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC). UC San Diego Extension—like all other UC San Diego schools, colleges, and departments—is accredited by WASC through the University. All courses and certificate programs offered by UC San Diego Extension have been developed and are administered in accordance with Extension policy and the regulations of the Academic Senate of the University of California.

Back to Top

Address Change

To correct or update your mailing address, email address or phone number, you may:

  • Log on to
  • Cut the mailing label from the back cover of your catalog, mark corrections clearly, and send to:
    University of California, San Diego
    UCSD Extension, Dept 0170-M
    9500 Gilman Dr., La Jolla, CA 92093-0170

Please note that we need to receive a change of address from you directly in order for us to continue sending you the catalog without interruption.

Back to Top

Admission, UC San Diego

Participation in a UC San Diego Extension educational program does not in itself provide preference in admission to any University of California degree programs. Students interested in applying to these programs should refer to the UC Admissions website or to the admissions office of the UC campus they wish to attend for details about the admissions process.

Back to Top

Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Compliance

Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 prohibit discrimination against individuals with disabilities. According to these laws, no otherwise qualified individual with a disability shall, solely by reason of his/her disability, be excluded from the participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program or activity of a public entity.

If students believe they have experienced discrimination because of their disability, they should contact the Office for the Prevention of Harassment and Discrimination (OPHD)

Back to Top

Canceled, Discontinued, Filled Classes

Since UCSD Extension receives no state funds to support its programs, courses that do not meet minimum enrollment requirements may be canceled either before the course begins or discontinued after the first class meeting. Please call (858) 534-3400 to verify the status of the course in which you are enrolling.

Sometimes courses fill before your enrollment is received, in which case we will contact you. Be sure to register early to ensure that the class you want is not canceled as a result of low enrollment. UCSD Extension also reserves the right to reschedule or combine courses, to change instructors, or to deny admission to any student.

Back to Top

Certificate Programs

A student is considered registered upon completion of the online application, official acceptance into the program, and receipt of payment of the certificate registration fees and/or program deposit. Payment of the certificate registration fees can be done online. For questions, please refer to our Certificate FAQ, or call (858) 534-3400 for additional assistance.

Candidates are encouraged to register in the certificate program as early as possible to take advantage of program benefits.

Certificate registration fees are nonrefundable and may not be transferred. Unless otherwise stated, you have five years to complete your certificate program requirements.

To check your status in your certificate program or to ask questions about remaining coursework, phone the Student Service office at (858) 534-3444 or email

When you have paid your fee and completed all your certificate requirements, you will need to notify us by:

There is a $25 duplication fee for certificates.

There is a $10 duplication fee for CEU and/or completion certificates.

UCSD Extension publishes a quarterly list of certificate awardees on the website. If you do not wish to have your name published, please contact Student Services at or (858) 534-3400 to be removed from the list.

Back to Top

Cost of Attendance

The Cost of Attendance is an estimate of the certificate fee, course fees and required textbooks needed to complete a specific certificate program at UC San Diego Extension. This estimate may vary based on the requirements of the specific certificate program chosen by the student.

The Cost of Attendance estimate, although reviewed quarterly, is intended to be used as a guideline to help you and the Financial Assistance Coordinator determine approximately how much financial assistance you need to meet the costs of your certificate program. Your actual costs may differ.

This estimate should not be taken as an official indication of financial aid eligibility. Eligibility for Private Education Loans is determined by the lender. Please refer to the lender's website for eligibility requirements.

Important: All estimated budgets are subject to change. Student is responsible for paying any costs not covered by financial assistance. These figures do not include transportation or personal expenses.

Back to Top

Classroom Rental Information

Comfortable, well-equiped meeting space is available to rent from our University City Center site, located at 6256 Greenwich Drive, San Diego.

Back to Top

Continuing Education Units (CEU)

The CEU is a uniform measure of non-credit continuing education learning experience (no academic units are involved). One CEU is defined as ten contact hours of participation in a continuing education course. Employers, professional groups, licensing agencies, and others who routinely examine and evaluate individual accomplishments generally accept this unit of measure.

Back to Top

Course Levels and Numbers

1-199 — Courses structured and approved in accordance with the requirements for lower division (1-99) and upper division (100-199) UC San Diego level courses are offered as part of the concurrent enrollment program.

200-299 — Graduate level courses offered as part of the University concurrent enrollment program. Concurrent courses shall be offered and supervised by appropriate University departments, and credit is subject to the approval and regulations of the campus Graduate Council concerned.

30000 — Professional credit-bearing courses in the field of education, specially designed for teachers and prospective teachers. Major emphasis is on pedagogy, teaching methods and materials, and curriculum design. Credit in these courses serves the needs for professional upgrading, in-service education requirements, and basic and specialized credentials; it may also lead to the award of a formal certificate by UC San Diego Extension and may be applied toward a teacher credentialing program, subject to the approval of the receiving institution.

40000 — Generally post-baccalaureate, professional-level, credit bearing courses. Credit earned in these courses may lead to the award of a formal certificate by UC San Diego Extension or may be applied toward an academic degree or professional credential, subject to the approval of the receiving institution. Courses provide opportunities for professional or career advancement and may also enable the general public to enhance its knowledge in various academic fields.

80000 — Non-credit courses bearing Continuing Education Units (CEU) designed to offer students the opportunity to develop cultural, intellectual, and civic interests.

90000 — Non-credit bearing units that may offer college prep or secondary school credit. The evaluation of student work may lead to the assigning of grades and units for use in articulation agreements.

Back to Top

Course Credit

UCSD operates on the quarter system, and all credit is given in quarter units. Each unit signifies approximately ten hours of classroom time. Course units are indicated following each course description. If units are listed for a course, you may take it for a letter grade, pass/no-pass, or non-credit unless otherwise stated. Check the box on the enrollment application to indicate your preference. If you do not mark this box, you will automatically be enrolled for a letter grade. Students may change their grading option at any time before the final class meeting.

UCSD Extension is not a degree-granting institution. The school or college in which students are registered determines the applicability of UCSD Extension courses to their degree programs. For purposes of admission to the University of California, credits earned in Extension's 1-299 level courses are accepted toward degree requirements on the same basis as credit transferred from another institution. Grade points earned are counted only for purposes of admission. Students should consult with the institution to verify acceptability of credit prior to enrolling in Extension courses.

Back to Top

Semester Equivalents

5 qtr. units = 3-1/3 semester units
4 qtr. units = 2-2/3 semester units
3 qtr. units = 2 semester units
2 qtr. units = 1-1/3 semester units
1 qtr. unit = 2/3 semester unit

Back to Top

Course Description Request

Course description requests are available for $10 per request form (rush and FedEx fees may apply). Student may request up to three course descriptions per form. Request forms can be downloaded through MyExtension. For additional information, please call 858-534-9999.

Back to Top

Credit Card Payments

UCSD Extension accepts the following credit card payment options: Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover and Diners Club. When you enroll in coursework, UCSD Extension authorizes your credit card to make sure sufficient credit is available. A hold is placed on funds equal to your course fee total until the enrollment is confirmed. Once confirmed, the actual charge is applied to your credit card account.

Refunds for courses dropped before the published refund deadline or from a reversed fee are processed within seven (7) to ten (10) business days. All credit card refunds are issued to the credit card used during the original transaction. If the credit card used for the original transaction has expired, a credit may be issued to the student’s account in lieu of a refund. This credit can be used toward additional courses and fees at UC San Diego Extension and is good for fifteen months from the date the credit is issued.

Back to Top

Credit Card Disputes

Credit card purchases are protected under the Fair Credit Billing Act. For more information on this, visit the Federal Trade Commission Website. Disputing a credit card purchase does not constitute official withdrawal from a course. Students must follow the procedures for dropping coursework.

Back to Top

Disabilities, Students with

UC San Diego Extension provides academic support services to students with qualifying and documented disabilities in compliance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.

Accommodations vary and are specifically designed to meet the disability-related needs of each student based on current, verifiable medical documentation.

If you need to request academic accommodations, please go to the Disabled Students webpage and follow the How to Request Services instructions. Students must send in their requests at least 15 business days before your course study begins.

Back to Top

Discount Policy

UCSD Extension offers a 10 percent discount of up to $50 per quarter (no discounts for all travel/study programs, executive programs, concurrent enrollment, career counseling and assessment testing, scholarships, or courses with fees $75 or under). The following UCSD-affiliated persons are eligible to receive the discount:

  • UCSD full-time matriculated students
  • UCSD career status staff and their spouse or domestic partner, (casual or contract employees are not eligible)
  • UCSD faculty and their spouse or domestic partner. This includes post doctoral appointments
  • UC Alumni
  • UCSD Alumni Association members
  • Osher Lifelong Learning Institute members
  • Chancellor's Associate members

For more information, please call (858) 534-3400. Proper identification must be presented in person at the time of enrollment. Members of the UC San Diego Alumni Association may provide a digital copy of their membership by emailing it to Refunds will not be given for the 10 percent discount if identification is presented after initial enrollment.

For information on the discounts available to UCSD-affiliated persons for Extension's daytime English language programs, please email

Back to Top

Dropping a Course

Students enrolled in UCSD Extension courses may officially drop a traditional course at any time before the beginning of the final class meeting. Online courses must be dropped by 11:59 p.m. the day before the scheduled end date of the class. Concurrent Enrollment courses have separate deadlines.

Dropping a class to switch sections for a course is considered a drop; all drop/ add/ change deadlines apply when switching sections. If requesting a refund, please refer to the section on "Refunds". Simply dropping a course does not guarantee a refund of tuition and fees paid at the time of enrollment.

Your request must be submitted in writing either in person, by email to, by fax (858) 534-8527 or postal mail to UCSD Extension Student Services, 9500 Gilman Drive - Dept. 0176-H, La Jolla, CA 92093-0176.

Students who enroll in UCSD Extension courses but do not attend must drop the course prior to the final class meeting to avoid having a negative impact on their official academic record. UCSD Extension instructors do not have the authority to drop a student who has not attended their courses.

Back to Top

1098T and Other Education Tax Credits

As a result of the Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997, the law requires educational institutions to obtain a valid Social Security Number (SSN)/Individual Taxpayer ID Number (ITIN) from all US Citizens and Permanent Residents who are subject to filing a US tax return. In order for UC San Diego Extension to file the required 1098-T form with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) concerning a student's enrollment and the fees they paid, we must have a valid SSN/ITIN. Students who do not provide a SSN/ITIN may be subject to a $50 fine by the IRS. If students do not have income that is subject to US tax, they are not required to supply this information to Extension. However, please be advised that UC San Diego Extension reports all students to the IRS whether or not they have provided a SSN/ITIN. For more information on educational tax benefits, please visit, or call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 or visit their website at

Hope Scholarship Credit is intended for students in their first two years of college studying at least half time. The student or his or her parent if he/she is claimed as a dependent, may be eligible depending on the taxpayer's adjusted gross income. Charges and portion of fees for books, meals, insurance, lodging, and travel are not allowed.

Lifetime Learning Credit is intended for students enrolled in an eligible institution of higher education for courses leading to a degree, certificate, or improved job skills. Fees paid on or after July 1, 1998 for UCSD Extension courses may qualify. Charges and portions of fees covering books, meals, insurance, lodging, and travel are not allowed. For additional information please call the IRS helpline at 800-TAX-FORM or visit the following websites: and

Back to Top

English Language Proficiency

English-language proficiency is essential to success in UCSD Extension courses. Many Extension courses require an advanced level of English-language proficiency as demonstrated by one of the following:

  • A minimum paper-based TOEFL score of 550
  • A minimum TOEFL iBT (internet-based) score of 80
  • A minimum TOEIC score of 760
  • A minimum IELTS score of 6.5
  • A "Pass" on the Cambridge Proficiency Exam

If you are not eligible to take regular UCSD Extension courses because you do not satisfy the English language proficiency requirement, you may enroll as a full-time student in one of UCSD Extension's English Language Programs (ELP). For more information about UCSD Extension's English Language Programs call (858) 534-6784.

Back to Top

Enrollment Confirmation

You are considered officially enrolled after all course fees have been paid in full and your registration has been confirmed. Payment is due at the time of enrollment. Enrollment verification forms reflecting fees paid, are available on

Back to Top

Enrollment Verification

Official enrollment/non-enrollment verifications are $10 per copy (rush and FedEx fees may apply). Request forms can be downloaded here. For additional information, please call (858) 534-3400.

Back to Top

Fee Changes

Course and other fees are subject to change without notice.

Back to Top

Financial Assistance

UCSD Extension offers continuing education loans through UC Approved Lenders. Each institution offers low competitive interest rates and flexible payment options. You are also encouraged to contact your personal financial institution about possible lending solutions. Direct links to UC Approved Lenders can be found on our website.

Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) Extension students do not need to file an FAFSA application. These funds are limited to degree programs.

Congress established the National Service Trust to provide a Segal AmeriCorps Education Award for members who successfully complete service in AmeriCorps. After successfully completing your AmeriCorps term of service, you may be eligible to receive a Segal AmeriCorps Education Award. You may use this award to pay educational expenses at UC San Diego Extension. For more information, visit or contact our Financial Coordinator at

State-Funded Training - The Employment Development Department (EDD) provides a comprehensive range of employment and training sevices in partnership with state and local agencies/organizations. More information is available on their website at Career Centers Located throughtout San Diego County, offer their communities comprehensive employment and training services benefiting both business and job seekers. More information is available on their website at

Back to Top


Students attending UCSD Extension have the option of taking courses for Academic Credit or Not for Credit. Further, students selecting the Academic Credit grading option have the choice of either the Letter grade or the Pass/No Pass grading option unless otherwise stated. Pass/No Pass grades show that you have either passed or not passed a course. Courses with P grades count toward your unit requirements for a certificate (unless otherwise stated) but do not apply to your cumulative GPA.

Letter grades (A, B, C, D, or F) reflect your performance in a class and result in grade points that count toward your cumulative GPA.

Pass/No Pass grades show that you have either passed or not passed a course. Courses with P grades count toward your unit requirements for a certificate but do not apply to your cumulative GPA.

Not for Credit (NFC) shows course enrollment only. It does not reflect performance or completion of course requirements. Courses in which the student chooses the NFC grading option do not count toward a certificate program and cannot be used to receive academic credit at another institution. Students selecting the Not for Credit grading option will not receive a final grade or units of credit on their transcript. A notation of "NFC" will be listed on the academic record next to the course title. Courses with a NFC grade do not apply to your cumulative GPA.

Grades are final when filed by UCSD Extension instructors (except "I" grades). To review and print your grades, please login to MyExtension. For additional assistance, please call (858) 534-3400.

Back to Top

Grade Appeals

It is important to know that UC San Diego Extension instructors have the authority to evaluate required course material and to assign a letter grade to each student who was enrolled in that course on the basis of the work required and received for the entire course.

However, if a student believes that their grade is incorrect, or that they received a grade based on non-academic criteria, the student has the right to question and appeal the final grade. First, the student should attempt to resolve the problem with the instructor. Sometimes, grade inconsistencies may be caused by an administrative/calculation error which can be quickly corrected by discussing the final grade with the instructor. If the student cannot resolve the issue with the instructor, or the student believes that non-academic criteria was used to determine the final grade, the student can submit a written complaint to the Program Representative in charge of the course.

If the student believes the issue is still not resolved after the written complaint was addressed by the Program Representative, the student can submit a written complaint to the Academic Director of the Department by providing a detailed response, point by point, explaining why the solution/reason given by the Program Representative is not satisfactory. Grade appeals reviewed by the Academic Department are considered final.

Back to Top

Grade Changes

Students may change their grading option at any time before the final class meeting or before final grades are posted, whichever comes first. Please note that Concurrent Enrollment courses have separate deadlines. Grade changes for online courses must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. the day before the scheduled end date of the class. All requests for grading option changes must be made in writing either through MyExtension, in person, by email to, or by fax (858) 534-8527. Requests for grade changes made after the start of the final class meeting will not be accepted.

Back to Top

Grade Interpretation

A+, A, A- = Excellent 4.0, 4.0, 3.7
B+, B, B- = Good 3.3, 3.0, 2.7
C+, C, C- = Fair 2.3, 2.0, 1.7
D = Poor 1.0
F = Fail 0.0
I Incomplete
NP Not Passing (Below C-)
P Passing (C- or better)
NR No record
NFC Not for credit
Blank Grade not reported by instructor

Back to Top

Grade Reports—

Grade reports are easily accessed through and are available approximately 2-3 weeks after the date of your last class meeting. For further assistance, call (858) 534-3400.

Back to Top

Incomplete Grade Petitions

A student may petition their instructor for an "I" Incomplete grade if the student's work is of non-failing quality but is incomplete due to circumstances beyond the student's control.

The student must submit a written petition to the instructor detailing the reason why they are unable to complete the remaining coursework along with a suggested proposal to complete the remaining coursework. If the instructor agrees, then the work must be completed per the agreement, but no later than the last day of the following quarter. If coursework is not completed as agreed by that date, the grade automatically reverts to a permanent "F" grade. The petition is filed with the instructor prior to the final class meeting. It is entirely the student's responsibility to gain the instructor's approval of the agreement before that time.

Legitimate reasons considered include a documented medical illness or compulsory military service. The Incomplete may not be used to retake the course or allow additional time for a student who has fallen behind without a legitimate cause.

Back to Top

Identification Card, Affiliate

ELI, Concurrent, and Certificate students are eligible to obtain a UCSD Affiliate ID card from the La Jolla Student Services office for a fee of $15. Please contact Student Services during regular business hours for additional information at (858) 534-3400.

Back to Top

International Students

The form I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility for a Student Visa) is available only for full-time study in the following programs: Business Management certificate programs, Digital Arts certificate programs, English language programs, and the Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) certificate program. For information on these programs, call the Extension International Student Services (ISS) office at (858) 534-6784, or e-mail to learn about the minimum English language proficiency requirements, the program admission requirements, and the services available for international students. Details about Extension International Programs can also be found at

Back to Top


You may purchase a library card ($15 for three months) at the circulation desk of the Geisel Library to use the UCSD libraries. You must have an Extension student I.D. card and be registered for the current quarter to be eligible. In order to access the library's online resources, you must use a computer in the library For current information on library hours and circulation policies please call (858) 534-3336 or visit

Back to Top

Minors Taking Classes

Students currently attending high school should consult their high school principal or counselor to obtain written approval, which must accompany their registration. The approval must be signed by a school official on school letterhead. Every child that is homeschooled has a contact within the local school district that monitors their progress and maintains records of completion for transcription purposes. Letters signed by a parent, even if the parent is the teacher and/or school administrator, will not be accepted. If the child has taken community college courses, an official transcript from the college verifying that he/she has taken college level coursework will be accepted in lieu of a letter from the school or school district. College transcripts must reflect a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher.

Back to Top

Name Change

Acceptable evidence of your new name may be provided by showing two documents:

  • An original or certified copy of a marriage license, divorce decree, or name change decree listing previous name AND government issued photo ID or Social Security card with updated name.


  • Social Security card or government issued photo ID with previous name AND Social Security card or government issued photo ID with updated name.

Come in person to any of our Student Services locations or fax to 858-534-8527.

Back to Top

Nondiscrimination and Sexual Harassment

The University of California, in accordance with applicable federal and state law and university policies, does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy or childbirth), physical or mental disability, medical condition (cancer related or genetic characteristics), ancestry, marital status, age, sexual orientation, citizenship, or service in the uniformed services (including membership, application for membership, performance of service, application for service, or obligation for service in the uniformed services). The university also prohibits harassment on any of these bases, including sexual harassment, as well as sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking. This nondiscrimination policy covers admission, access, and treatment in University programs and activities.

If students have questions about student-related nondiscrimination policies or concerns about possible discrimination or harassment, they should contact the Office for the Prevention of Harassment and Discrimination (OPHD) at (858) 534-8298, or Students are encouraged to seek assistance as soon as possible, as time limits may apply to complaint resolution processes.

Back to Top

Notification of Rights Under FERPA for Postsecondary Institutions

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords eligible students certain rights with respect to their education records. An “eligible student” under FERPA is a student who is 18 years of age or older or who attends a postsecondary institution at any age. These rights include:

  1. The right to inspect and review the student's education records within 45 days of the day UC San Diego Extension receives a request for access. Students should submit to the Extension Registrar a written request that identifies the record(s) the student wishes to inspect. The school official to whom the request was submitted will make arrangements for access and will notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected.
    If the records are not maintained by the school official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.
  2. The right to request amendments of the student’s education records that the student believes are inaccurate or misleading.
    The request may be submitted in writing to the UC San Diego Extension Registrar, clearly identifying the part of the record they want changed, and specifying why it is inaccurate or misleading. If UC San Diego Extension decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, the Registrar will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of the procedures to appeal the denial.
  3. The right to provide written consent before UC San Diego Extension discloses personally identifiable information (PII) from the student's education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent.
    Exceptions: UC San Diego Extension discloses education records without a student’s prior written consent to UC San Diego Extension, UC San Diego, or UC officials with legitimate educational interests. A UC San Diego Extension, UC San Diego, or UC official typically includes a person employed by the UC San Diego Extension, UC San Diego, or UC in an administrative, supervisory, academic, research, or support staff position (including law en¬forcement unit personnel and health staff); a person or company with whom UC San Diego or UC has contracted (such as attorney, auditor, or collection agent); a person serving on the board of trustees; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee. A UC San Diego Extension, UC San Diego, or UC official has a legitimate educational interest if the information requested is relevant and necessary for the official to perform a task or determination that is an employment responsibility or to perform a task that is related specifically to the official’s participation in the student’s education or to perform a task that is related specifically to the discipline of the student, and provides a service or benefit to the student or the student’s family.
  4. The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by UC San Diego Extension to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the office that administers FERPA is:
    Family Policy Compliance Office
    U.S. Department of Education
    400 Maryland Avenue, SW
    Washington, DC 20202

Questions about these rights or any other aspect of student records management by UC San Diego Extension officials may be referred to:

UC San Diego Extension Registrar
(858) 534-3400
9500 Gilman Drive M/C 0176
La Jolla, CA 92093-0176

The text of FERPA may be found in the government documents section of the UC San Diego Geisel Library. Copies of the UC San Diego student records policy, PPM 160-2, may be accessed electronically at

Back to Top

My Extension

Access Your Student Records

  • View and/or print your enrollment receipts
  • Update your personal contact information
  • View your academic history
  • Download official transcript form
  • Review and print grades
  • Request copies of course descriptions and tuition receipts

Log On: Three Easy Steps

  1. Visit My Extension at (do not use www)
  2. Enter your user name (email address, not Social Security number)
  3. Enter password. (If you do not know your password click on "Forgot your password?" to create a new one).

If you need any assistance with this process, call (858) 534-3400.

Back to Top


UC San Diego Campus
Parking permits are required on the UC San Diego campus from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. weekdays. No permit is needed during weekends and all day on university holidays.

Pay Station Permits
Single use permits for daily or hourly parking may be purchased from Pay Stations in the parking lots surrounding the Extension Complex, including lots P303, P208 and P207. Payment methods are cash ($1 and $5 bills only), Visa, MasterCard and American Express. Pay stations do not dispense change. The rate is $2 per hour, up to a maximum of $20 per day. Please refer to each Pay Station for additional parking permit instructions. Pay Station Permits allow parking privileges in the following spaces:

  • S Spaces: 24 hours daily. Look for painted yellow squares with a black S on the ground.
  • V Spaces: 24 hours daily. Look for painted white squares with a black V on the ground.
  • B Spaces: 24 hours daily. Look for painted green squares with a white B on the ground. Valid in lot P207 4:30 p.m. - 7:30 a.m. only.
  • A Spaces: 4:30 p.m. - 7:30 a.m. daily. Look for painted red squares with a white A on the ground. Not valid where posted "A permit required 24 hours a day, 7 days a week."
  • Meters (with no fee): 4:30 p.m. - 7:00 a.m. Monday through Friday.

Pay Station locations for the entire La Jolla Campus.

Note: You need an access stamp or sticker to park in Lots P001 - P010 and Lot P354. Special parking permits are required when parking in the Gilman Parking Structure.

Additional Parking Permits
There are a variety of additional permits available for purchase at the UC San Diego Parking & Transportation office located in the Gilman Drive Parking Structure. Permits are no longer sold through UC San Diego Extension.

To purchase a parking permit, you will need your vehicle information, including make, model, and license plate number. For more information on these permits, visit UC San Diego Parking & Transportation.

La Jolla Village Professional Center
Parking at the center is free.

UCSD Extension University City Center
Parking at the center is free.

Maps and Locations

Please be advised that you park at UC San Diego and University City Center campuses at your own risk. UC San Diego Extension is not responsible for any loss or damage to vehicles and/or property incurred in parking facilities. For more information about parking on campus and other permit options, please contact the UC San Diego Parking & Transportation office at (858) 534-4223 or visit their website at

Parking with Disabled Person Placards or License Plates
If you have a Disabled Person (DP) placard or license plates, you can park in these spaces without a UC San Diego parking permit:

  • Handicap-accessible spaces designated by the wheelchair symbol, found in every UC San Diego parking lot
  • Metered spaces (no fee required)
  • Spaces marked S, B, or A (see below for exception)

Disabled placards or plates alone are not valid in the following:

  • Spaces posted "A Permit required 7 days a week/ 24 hours a day"
  • Spaces marked "Reserved"
  • Areas painted with crosshatching or marked "No Parking"
  • Areas that are not designated parking spaces
  • Red curb, fire lane or yellow commercial zones (unless license plate allows)
  • Timed loading zones, beyond the specified time

Motorist Assistance Program (MAP)
MAP is a free service that quickly responds to stranded drivers on the main La Jolla campus only. If you need help such as:

  • A battery jump
  • Low tire inflation
  • Gasoline -- 1 gallon per calendar year

Call (858) 534-8108. MAP is available from 7:30 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. weekdays and 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on weekends.
Note: Participating motorists must sign a MAP waiver releasing the university from any liability in the event of vehicle damage.

Escort Service
UC San Diego's Community Service Program will send someone to accompany you while walking to and/or from your car, your evening class or a campus activity. The service is free and available from 5:00 p.m. to 1:30 a.m. daily. Escorts are equipped with two-way radios linking them directly to the campus police. For assistance call (858) 534-HELP (534-4357).

Back to Top

Shuttle Service

Two shuttle systems operate on the UCSD campus to assist UCSD Extension students. The campus loop system connects 20 locations on campus and operates from 7:00 a.m. - 12:15 a.m. The North parking shuttle connects the northern parking lots with the middle of campus at the Mandeville Center/Faculty Club area; it also operates from 7:00 a.m. - 12:15 a.m. Both shuttle systems are free. Phone the Transportation Alternatives Office at (858) 534-RIDE for information or see the posted schedules at the shuttle stop locations.

Back to Top

Proctor Services

The UCSD Extension University City Center is available to provide proctor services to you. For more information about scheduling times, fees and availability of this service contact us at or (858) 534-3400.

Back to Top

Purchase Order Enrollments

All purchase orders must be provided on company letterhead and sent to the following address:

UC San Diego Extension
Attn: UNEX Cashier
9500 Gilman Drive/Dept. 0176-H
La Jolla, CA 92093-0176

Faxed or emailed POs are accepted. Payment is due upon receipt of invoice. Individuals with questions regarding purchase orders should telephone (858) 534-3117. UCSD Extension requires the following information on all purchase orders submitted:

  • Company's complete name and address
  • Purchase order number
  • Invoicing address and telephone number
  • Point of contact (name, email and telephone number)
  • Student's name, telephone number, mailing address and email
  • Section ID number, course title, course dates, and course fee
  • Authorizing signature(s)

Back to Top


Students dropping a course before the published refund deadline will automatically receive a refund of tuition and fees paid at the time of enrollment. Please refer to the course description for the "No Refund After" date. Late fees, certificate fees and some material/lab fees are non-refundable. If the "No Refund After" date is not listed, please call (858) 534-3400 to obtain the course refund deadline date.

Petitions for refunds filed after the published "No Refund After" date are approved only when the student is unable to continue enrollment for one of the following reasons: 1) compulsory military service (proof required), 2) administrative error, or 3) Sudden serious illness, injury, or hospitalization. The written petition must include a letter from the student's doctor on business letterhead specifying the type and extent of the illness, the first day of absence and the date you can return to class. UCSD Extension has the right to approve or deny a request for medical withdrawal if the length of absence would not significantly affect the student's academic success. Please allow three to four weeks for processing.

All petitions should be sent to the following address before the end of the quarter in which you are enrolled:
UCSD Extension Refund Petitions
9500 Gilman Dr., Dept. 0176-H
La Jolla, CA 92093-0176

Back to Top


Course fees may be eligible for reimbursement by your company. Check with your training director or human resources manager. Retain your verification receipt to submit to your company. Some companies require grade reports listing letter grades to reimburse their employees. Check your company's policy before selecting your grade option.

Back to Top

Returned Checks

There is a $25 service charge for checks returned for insufficient funds, stop payments, and closed accounts. If your check is returned by the bank and you have stopped attending the course, you are still responsible for full payment unless you officially withdraw prior to the refund deadline. A stop payment does not constitute official withdrawal. A hold will be placed on your student record and any further enrollment or request for transcripts will not be granted until your account has been paid. UCSD Extension permanently revokes check writing privileges for all two-time offenders.

Back to Top

Sample a Class

For courses with five or more meetings, while you may attend the first class meeting free (unless the course has been filled or includes a "no visitors" or "pre-enrollment required" statement in the description), this does not guarantee an available place in the class should you decide to enroll before the second meeting. Many courses do fill early and early enrollment is the only way to secure your place in class. Enrollment fees must be paid before the second class begins to avoid a late fee.

Note: All Digital Arts Center courses require advanced registration and Information Technology & Software Engineering courses allow no visitors.

Back to Top

Visitor Policy

The "no visitors permitted" or "pre-enrollment required" statements, which may be included in certain course descriptions, indicate that students must be officially enrolled prior to attending the class. Enrollments received after the first meeting will be considered late and will be assessed a $25 late fee. Late fees are not refundable.

Note: In addition, all courses in Information Technologies allow no visitors.

Back to Top

Semester Equivalents

5 qtr. units = 3-1/3 semester units
4 qtr. units = 2-2/3 semester units
3 qtr. units = 2 semester units
2 qtr. units = 1-1/3 semester units
1 qtr. unit = 2/3 semester unit

Back to Top

Student Conduct

All UC San Diego Extension students are part of the UC San Diego community and are expected to follow University and UC-wide policies, including the Student Conduct Code. The UC San Diego Student Conduct Code represents the pride and values that define our community, and include the UC San Diego Principles of Community, which further illustrate the expectations for all members of our community. The Code defines our community's applicable standards and authorizes the administration of student conduct at UC San Diego Extension. The Code applies to all UC San Diego undergraduate, graduate, professional school, and Extension students. The code also applies to:

  • Applicants who become students for alleged violations committed as part of the application process
  • Applicants who become students for alleged violations committed on campus and/or while participating in University-supported activities that take place in the period following the student's application submittal up to his or her official enrollment
  • Former students for alleged violations committed while a student

In addition, UC San Diego Extension students must follow the UC San Diego Extension Academic Integrity Policy, which administers all instances of academic misconduct including, but not limited to: plagiarizing, cheating on exams, allowing someone access to your online course, and improper or missing citations in coursework.

Reports of alleged violations involving sex offenses, including sexual assault and sexual misconduct, will be handled under the policies and procedures set forth in the University of California's Sexual Violence and Sexual Harassment Policy.

For further information on any of these policies, please contact:
UC San Diego Extension Registrar
(858) 534-3400
9500 Gilman Drive M/C 0176
La Jolla, CA 92093-0176

Back to Top

Student Information Policy

The State of California Information Practices Act of 1977, effective July 1, 1978, requires UC San Diego Extension to provide the following information to individuals who are asked to supply information about themselves:

The principal purpose for requesting an individual's information is to enroll that individual as a student with UC San Diego Extension. Maintenance of this information is authorized by University policy. Furnishing the information requested is mandatory; failure to do so will delay or may even prevent enrollment in UC San Diego Extension courses or programs.

All information provided may be used by various University departments to verify student enrollment status. If required by law, the information will be transmitted to the State and Federal governments. Students have the right of access to this record as it pertains to themselves. The maintenance of all records is the responsibility of UC San Diego Extension's chief operating officer. To reach that officer, please contact:

UC San Diego Extension Chief Operating Officer
9500 Gilman Drive M/C 0176
La Jolla, CA 92093-0176

Back to Top


Course books can be purchased quickly and easily in one of two ways: online or at the UCSD Bookstore.

Important note: To obtain information about books that have been ordered for your course, visit the UCSD Bookstore website or phone the textbook department at (858) 534-4557. Provide the section ID number of the course in which you are enrolled and specify where the course is taught. The required and suggested textbooks for each course are displayed in the individual course listings but the textbook department staff will also be able to tell you which, if any, books have been designated by the instructor. Be sure to ask whether the books are actually in stock before you make a trip to the bookstore.

You can order online at the UCSD Bookstore or place an order by calling (858) 534-7323 or (800) 520-7323 and tell the operator that you would like to place an order for an Extension textbook. Advance payment by major credit card is required for the amount of the sale, plus tax and shipping.

Delivery Options - Once you order your books online or by phone, you have three delivery options:

  • Pick up your materials at the UC San Diego Bookstore
  • Have them shipped to your home or workplace
  • You can have the book delivered to University City Center

There is no charge for regularly scheduled twice-weekly deliveries. On Mondays, orders placed on the previous Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday will be delivered. On Thursdays, orders placed on the previous Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday will be delivered. If you need rush delivery, The UC San Diego Bookstore offers same day delivery services for orders that are placed by 11 a.m. The books will be delivered to the centers by 5 p.m. that day. There is a $10 charge for this rush service.

Bookstore Hours
M-F 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Sa 12:00 noon - 5:00 p.m.
Additional Hours (i.e. during Fall-Spring quarters)
Su 12:00 noon - 5:00 p.m.

The UCSD Bookstore is located in the Price Center Complex at 9500 Gilman Drive in La Jolla. Parking is free on Saturday and Sunday. UCSD campus map.

Back to Top


Transcripts are not sent automatically. Students must request a transcript in writing using the Transcript Request Form. Transcript requests cannot be submitted over the phone or via email. You can submit the request form in one of the following ways:

  • In person at any UC San Diego Extension Student Services office – please see maps and locations here
  • By fax to (858) 534-8527
  • By mail to:
    UCSD Extension
    9500 Gilman Dr., Dept. 0176-H
    La Jolla, CA 92093-0176

The fee is $15 per copy. Transcript requests are processed within seven working days of receipt of the request. Faxed copies are available for an additional $5 fee (for international faxes, additional fee is $10). Transcripts requested on a rush basis will be processed within one business day and incur an additional $20 charge. Standard and rush transcripts are sent standard USPS mail delivery; for expedited shipping, choose Federal Express option. Federal Express service is available by request for an additional $15.

Acceptable forms of payment: cash, check (made payable to UC Regents), money order, or credit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express, Diners Club).

For transcript delivery by mail, students have 60 days from the mail date to notify Student Services that transcript delivery was unsuccessful. Students are only eligible for one complimentary transcript reprint within the 60 day window. Transcripts held for pick up will be held for 60 days, and if not picked up will be mailed to the address on file in the student’s account. In both cases, if students request a transcript reprint after the 60 day window, they will be required to submit another transcript request and to pay any associated transcript fees again.

To protect the privacy of the student, UCSD Extension does not release grades over the phone. Note: For courses taken prior to September 15, 1967 records are maintained on the UCLA campus. If you have any questions, call Student Services at (858) 534-3400.

Back to Top

Tuition Receipt

Log on to to obtain a duplicate tuition receipt.

Back to Top

Veterans Benefits

UC San Diego Extension's certificate programs are approved for Veterans Education Benefits. Veterans, veteran dependents, and others eligible for veterans' education programs should determine their benefits and obtain authorization from the appropriate veterans' office prior to enrollment at Extension.

Back to Top