MaeLin has over thirty years of experience in the business of design, owning and operating Visual Asylum. In addition to creating and growing an award winning, nationally recognized design firm, she his integrated into the community of San Diego through passionate affiliation with local and national organizations as well as many civic groups.
Visual Asylum’s work is focused on brand identity and environmental graphic design. With expertise in school design, working on large scale projects for new and re-branding efforts by schools and districts in the region. This work includes strategic branding followed by smart, creative graphics, signage and color specification, including interior design, exterior color selection, ensure brand identity continuity from print to the built environment. (visualasylum.com
MaeLin is an enthusiastic adjunct instructor of design in the San Diego area and has taught a broad range of course offerings including; Introduction to Design, Typography I, II, and Advanced Typography, Advanced Design-Page Layout, Advanced Design - Logo & Packaging, Environmental Graphic Design, The Business of Design, Portfolio Preparation. she has been included in many AIGA National Education Conferences and has advocated and advised many University and Community College level programs.
MaeLin is a former Education Chair, with the AIGA and has held numerous board positions including President for 4 years and Y Conference Chair for 6-years. She is an AIGA Fellow, one of a few dozen in the country and one of six in San Diego. She also sat on the CCDC Downtown Education Task Force which helped identify educational needs for K-16 programs within the City core.
After adopting two children she founded and is the President of the Board of Trustees of Urban Discovery Academy, a K-12 Public Charter school, located in downtown San Diego, California.
• 2008 AIGA Fellow Recipient
• Professional Member of the American Institute of Graphic Arts/San Diego Chapter
• Past AIGA/SD Chapter President and Board Member
• Professional Member of the Society of Environmental Graphic Designers
• President, Board of Trustees of the Urban Discovery Academy Charter School
• Board member of the San Diego Downtown Partnership
• 2003 Paula E. Sullivan Lifetime Achievement Award Recipient
• 2003 Harvard Business School- Business Perspectives for Creative Leaders
• Instructor at City College/San Diego and Point Loma Nazarene University
• Received hundreds of design awards and recognition from Print, CA, AIGA, How Magazine, Branding USA, Hot LA Graphics to name a few
• Hold a BFA Degree, Graphic Communications Design, University of Denver, Colorado