Nicholas (Nick) Abi-Samra has over 35 years of experience in the power and energy field across the whole power systems value chain power generation, transmission, distribution, retail and end-use. Currently, Nick is the president of Electric Power & Energy Consulting (EPEC) and an adjunct professor with UC San Diego.
Abi-Samra has acquired a diverse background in power systems holding high-level positions at various companies including:
- Senior Vice President - DNV GL (Kema)
- Vice President - Quanta Technology
- Senior Manager - Smart Grid Services
- Senior Technical Executive - Accenture
- Senior Technical Director - EPRI
- Manager/Fellow - Westinghouse Electric Corporation
- Adjunct Professor - Carnegie-Mellon University
Abi-Samra's industry honors include:
- General Chair and Technical Program Coordinator
- IEEE Power & Energy Society
- EPRI’s highest technical award the Chauncey Starr Award (3 time winner)
- California Utility Vision and Road map for the Smart Grid of 2020 the Technical Excellence Award.
- Westinghouse’s highest technical award, the George Westinghouse Signature Award of Engineering Excellence (2 time winner)
Abi-Samra is an established author with 80+ articles in several publications including IEEE, CIGRE, as well as six guidebooks/handbooks. Additionally, he's written a textbook scheduled to be published in fall of 2017.