Our TEL Proficiency foundation program provides a 150-hours of instruction and the essential skills to become an English teacher anywhere in the world. These teacher-trainer courses will focus on building foundational knowledge and vital competencies in order to build self-confidence and strong capabilties for the English language classroom.
Teaching English is an option for those who just graduated and would like to explore the world, for those looking for a mid-career change, or for those who are retired and would like to volunteer teach in the community. A TEFL award of completion can open doors to numerous opportunities and adventures.
Learn more about the TEFL Proficiency program at our free information session.
Can't make it to our in-person information session? Please try our 10-minute online information session!
The program can be completed in as quickly as 3-6 months, depending upon course availability. Most students complete the program in 1-2 years.
There are no required classes for the program. However, the following courses are recommended for the TEFL Proficiency Program:
- Advanced Analysis of English Sentence Structure I
- Introduction to Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) --> recommended as the FIRST course
- Introduction to Teaching Writing
- Oral Presentations for Language Teachers (may not be offered every quarter)
- Theory & Methods of Reading Instruction
How much does the program cost?
Course tuition is paid as you enroll in each course. No upfront fees must be paid in advance. The Program Fee can be paid at any time and is not required to begin enrolling in classes.
- A strong command of English is a prerequisite for this program. (iBT TOEFL: 69, TOEIC: 690)
- Students must complete 15 units from TEFL course offerings.
- Students must pass all courses with a letter grade of C or above in order to receive an award of completion.
- $95 program fee.
- Course availability cannot be guaranteed and is dependent upon enrollment numbers each quarter.
- It may take more than one quarter to complete the program due to course availability.
- Upon successfully passing all requirements, students will receive an award of completion.