UC San Diego Extension remains committed to helping you achieve your goals. In an effort to help prevent the spread of COVID-19, we have transitioned all of our courses to an online, hybrid or live-online format. Online classes (asynchronous) will have pre-recorded lectures each week and guided assignments from the instructor. Hybrid classes are fully online with live (synchronous) virtual class meetings each week using the Zoom conferencing system. The live-online sections have synchronous sessions via Zoom.
UC San Diego Extension's professional certificate in accounting provides students the opportunity to gain a solid foundation in accounting skills and an understanding of the environment in which accountants work. This program is designed for individuals who want to pursue a career in accounting.
100% Online or In Class
In class options might be available for some courses.
*Cost may vary by format selection and curriculum updates.
*Varies by student and courses taken per quarter.
Certification and Licensure Requirements
For students who hold a bachelor's degree, the specific educational requirements to sit for the exams needed for certification or licensure may be met by completing the Certificate and the required courses established by the particular governing organization.
For information regarding other credential requirements, contact the organizations directly:
- Taught by well-qualified practitioners who will cover applications as well as underlying rationales.
- Courses are offered year-round in various formats: In class, Hybrid or Online.
- The certificate may be completed entirely online.
- Provides academic units which may be used to meet the California State Board of Accountancy’s educational requirements. Students will earn 36 quarter units (24 Semester) by completing the 9 Accounting certificate courses applicable towards the Accounting Subjects requirement to qualify for the Uniform CPA Examination.
Pathway for eligibility to take the Uniform CPA Exam in California
- Complete a Bachelor's degree or higher from an accredited university
- Complete 36 quarter/24 semester units in Accounting Subjects by completing the Accounting Certificate
- Complete 36 quarter/24 semester units in Business-Related Subjects
Requirements for CPA Licensure in California (See the "CBA Tip Sheet" for more information)
- Pass the Uniform CPA Exam
- Meet the educational requirements (complete a minimum of 225 quarter/150 semester units)
- Obtain the required accounting experience
Accounting Certificate students are eligible to enroll in the WileyCPA Review course at a discounted price. Visit: https://extension.ucsd.edu/courses-and-programs/uniform-cpa-examination-review-course-wiley-cpaexcel
There will be a $95 fee upon acceptance into the program