Discover the Science of Amazing Asteroids
Did a giant asteroid really wipe out the dinosaurs? Learn about the effects of asteroid impacts through the ages as you explore the science of amazing asteroids and design a bunker to withstand an imaginary asteroid strike.
Students will learn about how asteroids form and what they are made of. We will also explore the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter. Together we will survey the effects of asteroid impacts through the eons, including the evidence of a giant impact during the age of dinosaurs. We will also assess the chances of a giant asteroid striking Earth today. Students will apply what they have learned by designing and building a model of an underground bunker where they could sustain their community for a year following a pretend asteroid strike. The class offers an engaging introduction for further studies of astronomy and Earth science.
What You Will Learn
Learn about the science of asteroids and design an underground bunker to survive an imaginary asteroid impact.
Return to the Sally Ride Science Junior Academy website here.
- Understand how asteroids form and what they are made of.
- Become familiar with the characteristics of the asteroid belt.
- Learn about the effects of asteroid strikes throughout history.
- Survey the evidence that a huge asteroid impact caused the extinction of the dinosaurs.
- Design a bunker to live underground and sustain a community for a year following a pretend asteroid collision.
- Create a 3D model of your bunker design.
Note: In response to COVID-19 health guidelines, we have restructured our in-person Junior Academy workshops as online courses. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.
Course Number: SCI-90015
Credit: 1.50 unit(s)
+ Expand All
7/26/2021 - 7/30/2021