During this trying time, UC San Diego Extension remains committed to helping you achieve your goals. In an effort to help prevent the spread of COVID-19, we have moved this summer’s Sally Ride Science Junior Academy workshops online. These online STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts and math) workshops for students entering 4th-12th grade will be conducted through virtual class meetings using the Zoom conferencing system and the learning platform Canvas.
Learn to Design Android Apps
Android dominates the mobile device market, and Android app design skills are in high demand among tech industry employers. Learn to use MIT App Inventor to create a variety of simple Android apps.
Students will learn the basics of Android app design and event-driven programming. Together we will create app background screens and then add elements such as pictures, drawing canvases and buttons. Students will get familiar with MIT App Inventor as they design a variety of simple games and utility apps. We will also learn how to incorporate events so app users can interact with different elements. For a final project, students will work in groups to design and test their own mobile apps. All equipment will be provided, and no prior computer experience is required.
What You Will Learn
Return to the Sally Ride Science Junior Academy website here.
- Get an overview of the mobile app industry
- Get an introduction to MIT App Inventor
- Create a variety of simple apps for Android devices, such as a virtual pet, a ball-bounce app and a finger-painting app
- Learn to add a timer component to an app
- Create simple games
- Learn about procedures, variables, conditional “if” statements and loops
- Get an introduction to event-driven programming
- Design an original Android app and implement and test it
Course Number: WKSP-90063
Credit: 0.00 unit(s)
+ Expand All
7/6/2020 - 7/10/2020