During this trying time brought on by COVID-19, UC San Diego Extension remains committed to helping you achieve your goals. All courses within this certificate program are offered entirely in an online asynchronous format. Online classes will have pre-recorded lectures each week and guided assignments from the instructor.
The Human Genome Project kicked off a process of accrual of massive amounts of genomics data. The genomics data on diverse organisms that is now routinely generated and it is being leveraged in multiple industries with an impact on broad sectors of our economy, including the delivery of medicine, the design of pharmacological agents and even the manufacturing of industrial products such as materials and foodstuff.
Because genomic data is now found in so many different industries and scientific endeavors, a basic understanding on how to exploit it has become indispensable for scientists as well as other technical professionals. A familiarity with genomic data how to gather, analyze, and interpret it, is needed to succeed in most sectors of the life sciences and biomedical industry. Such understanding is at the core of bioinformatics.
The specialized certificate in Applied Bioinformatics is aimed at scientists in the life sciences, engineers, technical professionals working in industrial biotechnology and ancillary industries who need to utilize tools developed for bioinformatics. You will learn how to effectively utilize the data generated by the genomics revolution by giving you a solid understanding of the tools and methods of bioinformatics, including:
- Understanding of the importance of bioinformatics as a tool in life sciences research
- Knowledge of the multiple public data repositories and how to exploit them
- Familiarity with the software tools used for genome analysis and comparison
- Appreciation for the multiple uses of genomic information
- Awareness of the current genomics sequencing methods
- Insight into the challenges faced when confronted with big data
- Programming skills sufficient to manipulate genomic data
Program at a Glance
*includes the certificate fee, course fees, and required textbooks
*excludes recommended prerequisite courses
*varies by student and courses taken per quarter
12 total units
There will be a $95 fee upon acceptance into the program