Apply the basic concepts of digital signal processing to real world applications.
This course will review signal processing basics with an emphasis on the practical application of fundamental concepts in DSP. DSP processors, system architectures and supporting circuitry such as ADCs and DACs are discussed. You will also explore the basic concepts of programming for real time applications.
- DSP Tools and Architecture
- Real Time Programming
- Signal Dynamics
- Fourier Transform/FIR
- Digital Modulation/Communications
- Basics of Digital Images
- Fractional Arithmetic (fixed Q-point binary numbers)
- Hands-on sessions using real DSPs for interfaces with DSPs and components such as CODECs
Course Learning Outcomes:
- Differentiate the relationships between math, programming, and hardware
- Apply the Following Concepts:
- Analog to Digital Conversion
- Digital to Analog Conversion
- Fourier Transform
- Finite Impulse Filters
- Comprehension of DSP Architectures Including:
- Multiply and Accumulate
- DSP Processors
- DSP in Relation to Field Programmable Gate Arrays (FPGAs)
- Write programs to implement DSP algorithms in C
- Encompass assembly level instructions to Attain optimal performance from DSP engines
Hardware: Students may use whatever platforms they wish for their class project. However, the course material and demonstrations will be based on the MPLAB Starter Kit for dsPIC DSC, PN: DM330011 from Microchip. This kit can be purchased directly from Microchip at Microchip DSC Development Kit It is also available at electronics distributors i.e. DigiKey Electronics and Mouser Electronics
Course Typically Offered: Online in Winter and Summer quarters.
Prerequisite: ECE-40051 Signals and Systems or equivalent knowledge and experience
Next Step: Upon completion of this course, you may want to consider courses in our Embedded Computer Engineering and Wireless Engineering Certificate programs.
Contact: For more information about this course, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Course Number: ECE-40164
Credit: 3.00 unit(s)
Related Certificate Programs: Digital Signal Processing
+ Expand All
7/7/2020 - 9/5/2020