UC San Diego Extension remains committed to helping you achieve your educational goals. In an effort to help prevent the spread of COVID-19, we have transitioned many of our courses to an online or live online format. Live Online classes are fully online with live virtual class meetings each week using our Zoom conferencing system. Online classes will have pre-recorded lectures each week and guided assignments from the instructor. We will resume in-person classes when it is deemed safe to do so.
Benefit from the Essential Practice and Preparation Needed to Harness your Creativity
The Professional Certificate in Art and the Creative Process offers concentrated study in studio arts and the creative process. Regardless of profession or lifestyle, you will benefit from the essential practice and preparation needed to express yourself artistically. You may choose from a variety of art courses to develop your basic artistic techniques while improving your abilities to observe, find innovative solutions, and express your individual creativity. The certificate program focuses on both the creative process and the artistic product (a portfolio of finished artwork). You will also develop confidence with experimentation and self-expression. There will be a $95 fee upon acceptance into the program.
Online options might be available for some courses.
Early enrollment discount available. Cost does not include textbooks, materials or parking.
Varies by student and courses taken per quarter.
What You Will Learn:
- The knowledge required to develop basic artistic techniques.
- Basic drawing techniques through instructor demonstrations, guided in-class exercises and homework projects.
- Contour drawing, positive and negative space, perspective, shading and composition.
- How to improve your ability to observe.
- The art of sourcing and discovering innovative solutions.
- How to express your individual creativity into the creative process.
- Experimentation with varied mediums: colored pencils, charcoal, markers, chalk pastels and colored paper, oil pastels, paints (watercolor, gouache or acrylic), mixed media, and non-art materials.
- The opportunity to take electives in Art History, Drawing, Painting, Mixed Media and much more to help enrich and focus your area of concentration.
This Program Is Designed For:
- Students with little or no art background.
- Those interested in mastering, step-by-step through a systematic program of courses, the development of basic artistic skills.
- Creative professionals that desire to have a strong understanding to increase their knowledge of the creative process for career advancement or professional enrichment.
There will be a $95 fee upon acceptance into the program