UC San Diego Extension and the UC San Diego School of Medicine in collaboration with Lipscomb University have developed the Blockchain Applications in Healthcare certificate program for learners on the cutting‐edge of the rapidly evolving technology curve. Course content is ideal for those who desire the exploration and evaluation of new and emerging Blockchain technologies in the healthcare ecosystem and provides a definitive introduction to health blockchain architecture, programming, processes and commercialization strategies.
The four new certificate courses examine how blockchain technology is currently being considered as a solution to many problems in healthcare and will introduce the “Fit-for-Purpose” framework exploring how immutable distributed ledgers can better ensure the resilience and provenance, traceability and management of healthcare data. Through examination of several verticals, learners will understand how blockchain is helping health systems manage pharma and medical device supply chain, patient recruitment for clinical trials, security and interoperability of IoT and medical device data.
Courses will also examine the many immediate benefits for improving business processes, data provenance, lowering costs, mitigating risks, enhancing regulatory compliance, and ultimately improving patient and population health outcomes. The specialized certificate will allow professionals to explore the use of blockchain with other types of technology, platforms, and importance also enable broader discussion of its use to support digital health initiatives.
Expert faculty and industry practitioners explain the intricacies of the Health Blockchain landscape and identify meaningful opportunities to generate new value for both consumers and organizations. By focusing on the specific use and application of blockchain for different healthcare challenges, course content provides a critically needed educational offering for professionals in healthcare, business management, entrepreneurs, and those with technical backgrounds that want to break into the fast growing digital healthcare industry. Students will have the opportunity to develop and focus on a project management format to kickstart an actual blockchain healthcare solution.
Format: Est. Cost: $3,200 Duration:
On-Line (Excludes textbooks and materials) 12 - 16 months
There will be a $95 fee upon acceptance into the program
- 100% on-line specialization for those with both technical and non-technical backgrounds;
- Learn blockchain fundamentals and the “Fit-for-Purpose” model for the healthcare ecosystem;
- Participation of real-world practitioners of blockchain development and implementation and created by blockchain thought leaders from two universities;
- Explore blockchain use cases in different phases of conceptualization, pilot, testing, and commercialization
Who Will Benefit:
- Gain current industry insights and practical training with leading blockchain industry practitioners;
- Develop a strong foundational knowledge of health blockchain and the healthcare ecosystem;
- Compare and assess new opportunities for innovation and disruption in the healthcare sector;
- Examine system design elements, architecture, data governance, case studies, and applications in a variety of healthcare verticals
- Identify and frame activities necessary to conceptualize a blockchain project design;
- Identify regulatory and ethical concerns that could arise with a blockchain in healthcare project
At a Glance:
- Developing professionals and technologists currently working in the healthcare ecosystem who want to boost their current career in frontier technologies and Blockchain;
- Individuals with a background or interest in healthcare transformation, eHealth, IT administration, engineering and regulatory affairs;
- Anyone interested in learning high-demand entrepreneurial and fronteir technology knowledge and skills, typically those in leadership, innovation, investment, or entrepreneurial positions
- Number of courses (online option): Five courses - four required and one elective
- Total units: 11
- Estimated cost for online option: $3,200
- Time to complete: Flexible; most students complete the program in 12 -18 months
- Delivery for online certificate: All courses offered online, some elements of the optional Capstone may be in-person