***In an effort to help prevent the spread of COVID-19, the UC San Diego Extension Brewing Program is transitioning as many courses to a remote format as possible. Please see the certificate matrix for course offerings or contact email@example.com. Courses listed as "Live Online" will include synchronous (live) remote lessons each week using our Zoom conferencing system. "Online" classes will be comprised of weekly pre-recorded lectures and guided assignments from the instructor. Both course types include communication access to the instructor and classmates.***
From just eight craft breweries in the U.S. in 1980 to over 8,000 nationwide today, craft and microbrewing has developed into a multi-billion dollar industry. San Diego is contributing to the growth of the brewing trade with over one hundred fifty local breweries in operation and more in the planning stages. The key to a career in this thriving business is to gain the training and knowledge necessary to excel in this specialized field.
Brewers bring expertise from a diverse array of fields including engineering, chemistry, microbiology, physics and business, and must be able to apply that knowledge on a daily basis. The UC San Diego Extension Brewing certificate curriculum provides students with the technical skill and knowledge to select raw materials, produce wort, manage yeast and fermentation processes, and finish and package the product, all to the highest industry standards. The elective coursework is customizable for students based on career goals and/or personal interests.
Taught by leading professional brewers and other industry experts, the UC San Diego Extension Brewing Certificate is a part-time, evening and weekend program that offers academic and practical training for entry-level brewing professionals. The certificate can be completed in 12-18 months and students may take as many classes as fit their schedule. Tuition is paid per course at the time they are taken.
All elective courses, with the exception of the Brewing Internship, are open to the public. An application and prerequisite coursework are not required to enroll in any elective course.
Ballast Point Brewing for Diversity Scholarship
We are excited to announce our partnership with Ballast Point to award the Brewing for Diversity scholarship to a new or current brewing certificate student on an annual basis. This scholarship seeks to promote diversity and inclusion in the brewing community and foster a skilled and diverse generation of brewing professionals. Along with a full tuition scholarship toward completion of the Professional Certificate in Brewing, the recipient will also have the opportunity to gain valuable hands-on experience through an internship with Ballast Point as a capstone to the program.
We encourage applicants who have demonstrated leadership in their community, industry, and/or school and strive to promote a diverse, inclusive, and equitable society. We also seek individuals who desire to positively impact the brewing industry and champion for a more diverse and inclusive workforce. Applicants will have the opportunity to share their story and demonstrate these qualities in a 500-1000 word Brewing for Diversity prompt at the end of the certificate application. Finalists will be contacted by a UC San Diego Extension Program Manager to set up an interview with a scholarship committee comprised of members from UC San Diego Extension, Ballast Point, and the Inclusion Committee of the San Diego Brewer's Guild.
The scholarship application deadline is Sunday, May 16th. The first annual Brewing for Diversity scholarship recipient will be announced the week of May 31st.
Apply for Scholarship
- New and current brewing certificate students are eligible to apply
- New students will need to create a MyExtension account, submit a completed certificate application with a 500-1000 word scholarship essay, and be accepted to the brewing certificate program to be eligible.
- Current brewing certificate students should contact a Program Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org if interested in applying.
- Scholarship recipients must maintain a minimum grade point average of 2.0 and complete the certificate within a set timeframe. Other terms and conditions may apply.
- Flexibility to take courses at your own pace
- Courses offered during the evenings and weekends
- Gain analytical and practical training in the classroom and in local breweries throughout San Diego
- Career-oriented course content designed to provide fundamental brewing skills for an entry-level position in a craft brewery
- Network with leading industry professionals and students from diverse backgrounds
There will be a $95 fee upon acceptance into the program