Managers are invariably critiqued on their effective use of the complex decision making process. Refine your leadership skills and focus on the strategic decision-making process as viewed from the top of an organization in a multidisciplinary setting. Through case studies, explore the consequences of disregarding the decision-making process or of its ineffective use. You will also participate extensively in small groups and have the opportunity to integrate all you've learned into an effective interactive decision-making model.
Students will gain a solid understanding of the role of a general manager– using skills and information from the course to quickly asses, describe, investigate and navigate business strategy and decision making.
The course is intended for individuals with an interest in how business managers arrive at making a strategic decision. The class attracts individuals from all types of educational backgrounds and experiences.
The course will explore the characteristics of strategic thinking and the strategic decision making process. Students will evaluate the strategic management process, explore internal and external environments, and apply practical frameworks for creating, evaluating, implementing and monitoring business strategies. As a result, students will become more familiar with role of a general manager.
By the end of this course, the student will be able to:
- Define strategy and the strategic management process
- Articulate and write an organization’s vision and mission statements
- Evaluate an organization’s external environment
- Evaluate an organization internal environment including resources & capabilities
- Perform a SWOT analysis
- Identify the five basic (generic) strategies an organization can choose from
- Define the strategy implementation stage and identify its main components
- Identify the differences between domestic and global strategies
Note: For questions about this course, please contact BizManagement@ucsd.edu.
Course Number: BUSA-40441
Credit: 3.00 unit(s)
Related Certificate Programs: Business Management
+ Expand All
10/14/2019 - 12/14/2019