UC San Diego Extension remains committed to helping you achieve your educational goals. In an effort to help prevent the spread of COVID-19, we have transitioned our Accelerated BIA courses to a live online format. Live online classes are fully online with live virtual class meetings each week using our Zoom conferencing system and will include an asynchronous component as well. Our non-accelerated classes are still online and include pre-recorded lectures each week and guided assignments from the instructor. We will resume in-person classes when it is deemed safe to do so.
Our Specialized Certificate in Business Intelligence Analysis provides you with the skills to begin a career in business intelligence, transition from your current position into a BI analyst position, or add data analysis skills to your existing skill set.
Live - Online (in-class postponed)
Online - Asynchronous
Cost varies by format and curriculum updates.
*Varies by student and courses taken per quarter.
As the amount of data companies collect continues to grow at a rapid rate, the ability to effectively transform that data into actionable information has become paramount for business growth and success. The expanding field of business intelligence (BI) is now fundamental to all facets of business across all industries. Business intelligence analysts support data-driven organizational decision-making and maximize the utility of accumulated data. Businesses also use BI analysts to determine how to improve processes, discover efficiencies, support customers, and reduce costs.
In this hands-on certificate, you will gain a comprehensive, working knowledge of the complete analytics cycle, from determining requirements to extracting and disseminating information through various visualization techniques. Advanced topics such as predictive analytics, SAS programming, R programming, Python, or SQL can be taken as electives for further specialization.
- All courses can be taken online, some also offer in-class options for added flexibility
- Practical hands-on training
- Taught by leading industry practitioners
- Immediately applicable skills
- Industry-neutral curriculum allows you to apply knowledge to your field of interest
Key Program Topics
- Survey of popular BI tools
- Using SQL to create, manipulate, and build reports from database tables
- Using Excel for data analysis and reporting
- Database design and data warehousing
- Powerful data analysis techniques
- Using Tableau to create dashboards and data visualizations
- Introduction to predictive analytics & big data
Demand and Job Prospects
- According to the U.S. Department of Labor, the median wages for a Business Intelligence Analyst are $86,510 per year nationwide and $91,680 per year in California
- Business Intelligence Analyst is an O*NET “Bright Outlook” job: a new and emerging role in a high growth industry
- According to Burning Glass, top companies hiring Business Intelligence Analysts nationwide in the past year include Accenture, Wells Fargo, Anthem Blue Cross, UnitedHealth Group, Oracle, JP Morgan Chase, American Express, General Dynamics, and Booz Allen Hamilton
Who Will Benefit
- Individuals looking to learn basic data analysis and descriptive analytics skills using easily accessible tools
- Individuals seeking to transition into a business intelligence analyst position
- Individuals desiring to begin a career in business intelligence or data analysis
- Anyone interested in learning high-demand data analysis skills
At a Glance
- Number of courses (online option): Five courses - four required and one elective
- Total units: 15
- Estimated cost for online option: $3,700
- Cost for accelerated option: $4,500
- Time to complete (online option): Flexible; most students complete the program in six months to one year
- Delivery for online certificate: All courses offered online, some elective courses also offered in-class
- Delivery for accelerated certificate: Students will meet in-class and/or online over the course of one academic quarter. Curriculum is pre-determined and includes a capstone project. Learn more.
For more information about the online and accelereted BI program, please contact: email@example.com.
There will be a $95 fee upon acceptance into the program