During this trying time, UC San Diego Extension remains committed to helping you achieve your goals. In an effort to help prevent the spread of COVID-19, we have transitioned all of our Spring and Summer courses to an online or hybrid format. Online classes will have pre-recorded lectures each week and guided assignments from the instructor. Hybrid classes are fully online with live virtual class meetings each week using our Zoom conferencing system.
Become a Career Advisor
Career Development is an interdisciplinary field which takes into account workplace dynamics and individual growth and change. Career Advisors help focus clients’ skills, interests and values while teaching them how to gather information about workplace options and helping them develop strategies to reach their career goals.
UC San Diego Extension’s Career Advising Specialized Certificate Program is designed for Career Advisors (including WIB/Workforce Partnership Career Advisors) and professionals in career advising roles to bring them the latest information on current economic trends, coaching techniques, career-building strategies, and interpersonal communications.
Career Advisors work with individuals in all stages of work or life, including those transitioning fields, students looking for their first job, veterans re-entering the job market, or individuals facing retirement. The diversity of clients reflects the dynamic and evolving workforce in the U.S. This program provides an organized and comprehensive approach to information, theories and best practices in career development.
Foundation Principles BUSA 40801 9/28/20 – 12/12/20
Skill Development BUSA 40806 1/4/21 – 3/20/21
Specialty Areas BUSA 40810 3/29/21 – 6/12/21
(Knowledge of powerpoint recommended but not required.)
Benefit to Participants
- Education to impact day-to-day and long term productivity and professional growth
- Share and learn from peers, gaining best practices, new perspectives, strengthened relationships and new contacts
- Develop skills to serve an increasing diverse customer base with widely varying needs
- Learn the competencies of the Certified Workforce Development Professional (CWDP) national credential
Earn the CWDP certification!
Students completing the program are eligible to receive the Certified Workforce Development Professional (CWDP) certification through the National Association of Workforce Development Professionals (NAWDP). The CWDP is a nationally recognized credential for individuals who have demonstrated they have what it takes to provide the highest quality services to our nation's job seekers and businesses.
There will be a $95 fee upon acceptance into the program
Benefit of Career Advisor Education to the WIB System
A dynamic organization with highly-skilled and capable staff allows WIBs and their One-Stops to:
- Quickly respond to the changing demands of the workplace
- Innovate from the ground up (not top down)
- Gather strength from collective knowledge
- Seek continuous improvement through principles imbedded in plans and culture
- Close the skill gap of staff, raising the bar for high performance and fostering employee engagement
- Staff a state-of-the-art One-Stop with requisite talent
- Leverage Capstone projects as roadmaps for process improvement
- Create a team of problem solvers and the next generation of leaders
- Immediately applicable skills