UC San Diego Extension remains committed to helping you achieve your educational goals. We have transitioned many of our courses to an ONLINE or LIVE ONLINE format, in an effort to help prevent the spread of COVID-19. We will resume in-person classes when it is deemed safe to do so.
ONLINE classes have pre-recorded lectures each week and guided assignments from the instructor.
LIVE ONLINE classes are fully online with live virtual class meetings each week using our Zoom conferencing system.
Learn the Craft of Children’s Book Writing to Improve your Chances of Being Published as a Writer
The Children’s Book Writing Certificate is designed to provide you with a solid foundation in the skills and tools to improve your chances of being published as a writer. It also introduces aspiring professionals, like you, to a wide variety of media and advanced topics required for a thriving book writing career. Children's books impart a wide range of knowledge by capturing the imagination, delighting the senses, and engaging the mind—and writers have the challenging task of creating stories that both entertain and inform children.
In-Class & Online
Varies by course and quarter.
Early enrollment discount available. Cost does not include textbooks, materials or parking.
12 -18 months
Dependent on number of courses taken per quarter.
The key to being a successful children’s book writer is to learn the techniques and skills that engage a child's imagination, sustain attention, and push a child toward a greater understanding of the world. Successful writers must also understand how to flesh out ideas, revise and critique, write query letters to get published, and know the history of the medium. Throughout this program, you will have the opportunity to hone your technique by tackling courses on the art of children’s book writing, as well as how to get published and choose genre, or age-specific, electives to enhance your specific goals.
What You Will Learn:
- The nuances of picture books, easy readers, early chapter books, middle-grade novels, young adult novels, children's magazines, fiction and nonfiction.
- The best way to choose an idea for a thriving book writing career.
- The history of children’s literature, to provide a deeper understanding of the evolution of this genre.
- How to benefit from fellow student and instructor critique to improve your revisions.
- How to write a catchy query letter or intriguing cover letter to capture an editor's attention for publishing your work.
- Tips for marketing your work will also be offered.
This Program Is Designed For:
- Those seeking to enter the world of children’s book writing and publishing.
- Writers interested in honing their children’s book writing skills.
- Writers seeking a workshop-focused program where they can specialize in specific children’s genre they’re most interested in.
- New children’s book writers seeking to learn how to edit and publish their work.
For further information about this program, please enroll in the online on-demand Children’s Book Writing & Illustration Program Information Session. Questions about our classes or certificates? Contact our department at 858-534-5760 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
There will be a $95 fee upon acceptance into the program