Cloud Computing Architecture using Amazon Web Services (AWS)
will give students an understanding of business and technical tools, and architecting on AWS. It will include practical hands-on experience solving real-world cloud computing problems with AWS. These tools can be useful for managing your business’ IT infrastructure, and provide an understanding of how this cloud platform can help your company meet compliance, governance, and regulatory requirements. Participants will develop technical expertise in cloud computing architecture using Amazon Web Services (AWS). AWS is a secure cloud services platform that is used in almost 200 countries. With infrastructure services inclusive of computing power, storage options, networking and databases, it offers flexibility, scalability, and reliability useful to building sophisticated applications. It will include practical hands-on experience solving real-world cloud computing problems with AWS.
UC San Diego Extension joined the Amazon Web Services Academy program in 2018 to offer authorized AWS curriculum to our students.
- How to design a virtual private cloud
- Principles of designing for high availability
- Concept of scalability
- Methods for automating an infrastructure
- Techniques for decoupling an infrastructure
- Designing web-scale storage
- Well-Architected Framework - Pillars
- Operational Excellence
- Performance Efficiency
- Cost Optimization
- Design patterns and sample architectures
Course Learning Outcomes:
Upon completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Identify the value and benefits of cloud computing and AWS
- Understand methods and tools to maintain security and protect data
- Explain the financial advantages of the AWS cloud
- Navigate the AWS Management Console
- Differentiate between AWS storage options
- Understand AWS compute and networking options
- Describe and use AWS database options
- Identify deployment and management options
- Make decisions based on recommended architectural principles and best practices
- Create a cloud migration road map and plan
- Use AWS to make infrastructure scalable
- Create a business continuity plan and achieve high availability
- Create event-driven scaling
- Automate the deployment of cloud resources
- Design architectures to decouple infrastructure and reduce interdependencies
- Optimize data storage for static content
- Identify best practices prescribed in the Well-Architected framework
- Identify and solve common configuration and design issues
- Differentiate between architectures for data processing and analytics, mobile back-ends, and video transcoding
- Understand the AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Associate exam structure and questions
This online course is taught through e-learning utilizing AWS certified curriculum. The instructor will provide participants with additional resources and guidance in the online environment throughout the course. There will also be hands-on labs and project work.
Students will receive an electronic student kit that includes course manuals, access to labs, and knowledge assessments. Additionally, an AWS Certified Solutions Architect – Associate certification practice exam and a 50% discount voucher for the AWS Certified Solutions Architect – Associate certification exam will be provided to students that successfully complete all elements of the curriculum (labs, assessments, project).
Software: The instructor will provide students will access to Vocareum for all their labs.
Hardware: Students access the student guides (pdf) through VitalSource Bookshelf. Login details will be provided through email on the first day of the course. Students must have a reliable internet and computer or laptop.
Course Typically Offered: Online in Spring and Fall quarters.
Prerequisite: Cloud Computing Architecture requires a strong foundation in multiple computing, software development, and IT concepts and skills.
Intended Audience: Cloud Computing is for undergraduate, graduate or professional students seeking cloud computing expertise.
Accreditations and Certifications
- UC San Diego Extension is an Amazon Web Services (AWS) Academy
- Instructors have completed the AWS Academy Instructor Accreditation process and are AWS Academy Accredited Instructors
- This course can also be used to prepare for the AWS Solutions Architect - Associate certification exam
Next Step: After completing this course, consider take courses in any of the following certificate programs:
Contact: For more information about this course, please email email@example.com.