Our certificate in Communication Software Development for Distributed Energy Resources (DER) addresses the shortage of professionals in the technology field of Renewable Energy, DER, and related professional standards and specifications.
In the energy space industries, commercial areas, large buildings, municipalities, and communities are facing three main challenges: costs, security of supply and CO₂ reduction. With the help of local distributed energy solutions, it’s possible to turn these challenges into long-term calculable variables – across all businesses and industrial sectors. The solutions utilize an optimized mix of distributed energy resources (DER) such as renewable energy, combined heating and power stations, or storage systems, supported by sophisticated energy management.
Track I: SunSpec Modbus
SunSpec Modbus is a data communications specification for interoperability between PV system components (and the system controller). The key concept here is interconnection/communication between solar equipment. Every system requires one of these communication sub systems to operate and comply with IEEE 1547 – 2018 requirements. SunSpec Modbus is the most popular standard protocol used in these sub systems. Students will understand the theory of operation for SunSpec Modbus and how to apply the technology to PV communication sub system development. They will be prepared to obtain software development roles in the DER industry where they will be developing these sub systems.
Track II: IEEE 2030.5
IEEE 2030.5 – 2018 is a data communication specification for interconnection between Distributed Energy Resources Systems equipment and the energy grid infrastructure. The key concept illustrates a network of solar storage equipment and the larger energy grid. DER systems must be able to communicate with the network operator in order to comply with regional interconnection requirements, such as the utility the DER system connects with. Students will understand the theory of operation for IEEE 2030.5 - 2018 and how to apply the technology in DER system–to-network-operator scenarios. They will be prepared to obtain software development roles in the DER industry where they will be developing these solutions.
- Introduce students to the vocational opportunities in communications software development in DER
- Educate students on relevant communication standards in the field of DER including IEEE 2030.5 - 2018, and SunSpec Modbus.
- Because of the significant amount of material and differences in the two standards (Modbus and IEEE) it was decided to split the program into two tracks
- Instruct students on how to incorporate cybersecurity into communication software system design
- Educate students regarding design and coding standards for relevant communication technologies
- Introduce students to open source software resources available to assist in their development projects
- Provide exercises for students to demonstrate knowledge of communication standards and cybersecurity in formulating products and services
- Introduce students to the vocational opportunities in communications software development and its applications ion the Distributed Energy Respires (DER) industry
- Each track will implement real-world exercises to demonstrate current communications standards and cybersecurity required when formulating products and services
- Courses in the program will be awarded North American Board of Certified Energy Practionsers (NABCEP) credits
Track I: SunSpec ModBus
- Is is preferred that students have a minimum of a B.S, in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering. However, cpmsoderation will be given to students with equivalent knowledge and work experience.
Who Will Benefit:
- Anyone seeking to enter and advance in the filed of software development, testing, IT/OT, and cybersecurity related to the field of distributed energy resources
- Military Veterans are encouraged to apply
At a Glance:
- Number of courses: Five courses ( Three required and two electives)
- Total Units: 13
- Estimated Cost: $3,875.00 (excluded any textbooks.materials)
- Time to Complete: 12 - 15 months
- Delivery: All courses are offered in online format
For more information about this program, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
There will be a $95 fee upon acceptance into the program