Learn basic drawing techniques through a variety of instructor demonstrations, guided in-class exercises and homework projects. Topics include contour drawing, positive and negative space, perspective, shading and composition. As this is a foundation course, work is based on drawing from observation. Explore the concept of light and shadow by experimenting with highlights, cast shadows and reflected light. An introduction to realistic portrait and figure drawing is included, focusing on proportion and "sighting" techniques used by the masters. Most importantly, students experience a change in perception, learning to see like an artist in this fun but challenging class.
Note: Requirement for Art & the Creative Process Certificate.
Please bring to first class:
- Instructor Joy Chu:11x14 regular sketch pad, graphite pencils (2B, 4B, 6B), white eraser.
- Instructor Michael Colletta: drawing board, newsprint, 11x15 drawing paper, charcoal, drawing pencils (2B, 4B, 6B), white eraser, gum eraser, pencil eraser.
- Instructor Ann Dunham: 11x14 drawing paper, 2B drawing pencil, 4B drawing pencil, 6B drawing pencil, Vine Charcoal, white eraser, pencil eraser
- Instructor Wattana Khommarath: drawing pencils (2B or softer), drawing paper or rough newsprint (18x24), drawing board, compressed charcoal, india ink, brushes (1/2" flat, #1 round, #4 round), ballpoint pen, black marker, artist tape, kneaded eraser, regular white eraser, sketchbook.
- Instructor Jim Machacek: 11x14 regular sketch pad, graphite pencils (2B, 4B, 6B), white eraser.
- Instructor Michelle McCunney: Graphite pencils (2B and 6B), 18 x 24” or larger drawing board with clips, and rough newsprint pad 18 x 24”.
- Instructor Pia Stern: manila file folder, two paper clips, Char-Kole sticks (3-6), rough 18x24 newsprint pad, 18x24 or larger drawing board with clips, plastic Staedtler eraser, kneaded eraser, white chalk/white conte crayon, scissors, 2 pieces black construction/pastel/drawing paper approx 18x24.
- Instructor Blair Thornley: charcoal (soft vine, charcoal pencil, compressed, white chalk pencil), 6B pencil, sharpener, white Staedtler eraser, kneaded eraser, 18x24 drawing or newsprint pad, 18x24 or larger drawing board with clips, 14x17 Strathmore 400 series drawing paper OR 14x17 Bee Paper "Super Deluxe" or similar paper spiral bound, pen (Rapidograph, Croquil, or Pentel Hybrid Technica), ink (india, sumi, black cat, or other very dense black ink), watercolor brush (size 8 or larger, round), color (pencils, pastel, or oil pastel), gesso (artists or professional, not liquitex, small jar).
Full materials lists will be distributed during first class meeting.
Course Number: ART-40166
Credit: 3.00 unit(s)
Related Certificate Programs: Art and the Creative Process