In response to COVID-19 health guidelines, we have restructured most of our in-person Junior Academy workshops as online courses. This in-person workshop has been canceled and will not be offered as an online course. Please see our available online courses to find other topics that may interest you. If you have registered for this course, you will receive a refund. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.
Create Your Own Whimsical Fairy Garden
A fairy garden is a whimsical miniature garden complete with tiny structures and actual living plants. Now you can learn a sprinkling of botany as you create your own fairy garden using native San Diego succulents.
In this dreamy and whimsical workshop, each student will create a personalized fairy garden to take home. Along the way, they will learn some botany basics, including plant physiology, structure and distribution. We will look at how fairy tales can be represented through the layout of a fairy garden. Students will learn how to propagate succulents native to San Diego and then use them in their fairy gardens. They will be able to apply what they learn to grow succulents in their own backyard gardens.
What You Will Learn
Return to the Sally Ride Science Junior Academy website here.
- Get an introduction to botany, including plant physiology, structure and distribution
- Explore how fairy tales can be told through the layout of a fairy garden
- Learn about the literature about fairies and their magical elements
- Learn how to manipulate and propagate of succulents
- Create tiny gardens complete with plants native to San Diego and fairy garden details
- Practice presenting their ideas to their peers
Course Number: ART-90056
Credit: 0.00 unit(s)