Note: During this trying time, UC San Diego Extension remains committed to helping you achieve your goals. Because this program is in an entirely online format, no changes have been necessary. Our classes will continue to run as scheduled.
Front End Development Certificate
Web development has evolved significantly over time to include highly complex and interactive websites and applications with various services and functionality. Because of the complexity of most websites, the development work has been divided between two types of functions which have generated two types of professionals: front-end and back-end developers.
The Front-end developer is the bridge connecting the designer and Back-end developer. The developer’s work is to take the final designs of an application from the designer, and code it into the front-end code so the Back-end developer can understand it and build functionality around it.
*Check course list below for specifics.
*Cost may vary due to elective course selection.
*Varies by student due to number courses taken per quarter.
- Utilize the essential concepts of project management as they apply to web development
- Develop a high quality portfolio to present to potential employers
- Apply best coding practices and learn to code for performance using: sprites, caching and other modern tools of the trade
- Hands-on comprehensive training designed to immerse you in the skills needed to successfully get started or advance your career
- Developed and taught by industry professionals
- Immediately applicable skills
Demand and Job Prospects
- According to Burning Glass Technologies, employment projections for web developers between 2018 to 2028 show a growth of 20.9% nationwide and 19.2% in San Diego County.
- According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median wages for web developers in 2018 was $69,430 per year nationwide and the mean wages was $86,160 in California.
- Number of courses: 4 Required Courses, 1 Elective
- Total Units: 15
- Estimated program fees(includes certificate fee): $3,590
- Time to Complete: 15 months or less depending on how many classes students take each quarter
- Delivery: Online
Starting in Winter Quarter 2021, we will be offering a newly realigned Specialized Certificate in Front End Development. The new course offerings are current and relevant. The updated format now includes two elective tracks for Front End Engineers and Front End Designers. Building on the information from the core courses, these new elective options will provide for a robust and effective program.The modifications made reflect feedback from our Advisory Board which includes industry experts, as well as market research, and input from instructors and students.
If you are a student who joined the Specialized Certificate in Front End Development prior to 10/23/20, you may continue to follow the previous program requirements or follow the new requirements if you would like. Please contact email@example.com with any questions.
There will be a $95 fee upon acceptance into the program