Fundamentals of Graphic Design
9 Weeks | $595 | Online & In-class
This is a key course in learning the fundamentals of graphic design, as it will introduce you to the principles of design and its application for print and web. You will also learn about print production, file format and management and its effect on both printed and digital and/or Web projects. You will gain an introduction to the essential design techniques required for the production of professional work from both an aesthetic and technical standpoint. The course has been organized to introduce you to the following concepts – the elements and lexicon of basic two-dimensional design, the principles behind successful design, Gestalt design theory, composition and layout, use of type as object and how it interacts with the graphic image, basic color theory, and finally print versus web file preparation. In addition, all projects will have an element of brainstorming and concept development inherently associated with them.
What You Will Learn:
- Fundamental elements and design lexicon, and principles behind successful design.
- Master Gestalt design theory; composition and layout; typography and hierarchy; and color theory.
- Essential print production and web file formatting practices.
- Identification and use of the basic elements of two-dimensional design.
- Process to organize the basic elements of two-dimensional design using design principles.
- Identification of the two major type groups.
- Use of type as a design element.
- Integration of typographic and pictorial elements into their designs.
- Difference between files saved for print versus those saved for web use.
Quarters Offered: Fall, Winter, Spring, and Summer | Online and In-Class
Course Fee: $595
Prerequisites: Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, and Adobe InDesign or equivalent experience.
Required Materials: Adobe Creative Cloud subscription (With proof of enrollment, students are eligible for a discounted subscription rate.)
Note: Fulfills 3 units of required course credit in the Graphic Design Specialized Certificate program and/or 3 units of elective course credit in the Content Marketing Certificate programs.
Next Step: After completing this course, students should enroll in any other required or elective course in the Graphic Design Specialized Certificate program.
Contact: For more information about this course, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Course Number: ART-40667
Credit: 3.00 unit(s)
Related Certificate Programs: Content Marketing
+ Expand All
9/29/2020 - 11/29/2020