Upstream Cell Culture Bioprocessing
Mammalian bioprocessing is the foundation of biologics production in the pharmaceutical industry. This workshop covers the fundamentals of cell culture in drug substance manufacturing. Students taking this course will learn core biological and engineering principles for cell culture operations. Unit operations for cell culture steps will be described and analyzed. Practical methods for scaling-up manufacturing process will also be described. Additionally, an overview of product quality, analytical, and regulatory topics pertinent to bioprocessing will be provided.
This section is the 3-day upstream portion of cell culture bioprocessing. Please note that there is a 3-day option for downstream only and a 5-day workshop covering both upstream and downstream happening the same week.
Lectures for this workshop are given by industry professionals who will provide insight into how this knowledge is applied to modern biologics production. This detailed yet concise course is appropriate for early to mid-career professionals as well as students looking to gain relevant skills in mammalian bioprocessing. The course is also a great way for individuals in supporting functions such as automation, instrumentation, and supply chain to gain a deeper understanding of the manufacturing processes they support.
2019 Keynote Talks
- Role of Cell Culture in the Commercialization of Biologics, Antonio Grillo-Lopez, Former CMO, IDEC
- Cell Culture for Biosimilar Products, Julio Baez, Former CSO, Cipla BioTec
- Cell Culture for Biotherapeutic Protein & Vaccine Products, Kara Calhoun, Director, Genentech
Regulatory and Analytical:
- Cary Opel, Senior Scientist, Gilead Sciences, Inc.
- Tom Fletcher, Scientific Director, Fujifilm Irvine Scientific
- Nathan Lewis, Associate Professor, UC San Diego
- David Razafsky, Senior Scientist, MilliporeSigma
- Kenneth Clapp, Senior Manager, GE Healthcare Life Sciences
- Alana Bartelle, Director, Genentech
- Alexandre Ambrogelly, Director, Gilead
Note: This workshop will take place at Gilead Sciences, Inc., in Oceanside, CA, and is open to attendees over 18 years of age. Closed-toe shoes are required at all times.
Course Number: BIOL-40350
Credit: 2.00 unit(s)
+ Expand All
9/16/2019 - 9/18/2019