HVAC Design Calculations
Energy efficiency and sustainable design are critical components of today’s smart, green buildings. This practical course covers the fundamental calculations required for the design of building heating, ventilating, and air conditioning (HVAC) systems. Topics include cooling and heating load calculations, psychometric analysis, and HVAC energy usage.
This fast‐paced course focuses on practical methods of HVAC calculations in accordance with governing codes and American Society of Heating, Refrigerating, and Air Conditioning (ASHRAE) guidelines. Emphasis is placed upon accepted rule‐of‐thumb checks in HVAC load calculations and energy analysis, including a review of available computer programs. An optional field trip is included.
- HVAC Heating and Cooling Load Calculations
- Psychometric Analysis
- Energy Analysis
- Indoor Air Quality
- Natural Ventilation
- Hybrid Natural Ventilation
- Mechanical Ventilation
- Energy Saving Payback Analysis
- Basics of Net-Zero Energy Buildings
- Learn the fundamentals of psychometrics and how to perform HVAC design calculations utilizing the psychometric chart.
- Discover the difference between dry bulb, wet bulb, relative humidity, and specific humidity.
- Calculate properly-sized air cooling units for a given space.
- Calculate the (CFM) required for air handling and fan coil units.
- Calculate the properly-sized equipment for mechanical ventilation.
- Explore natural ventilation and hybrid ventilation methods for smart, green buildings.
Required Textbook: The Fundamentals of HVAC Direct Digital Controls, Third Edition (ISBN-13: 978-0970447135) Available at: http://www.hvacddc.com
Optional Reading: ASHRAE 2016 Handbook - HVAC Systems and Equipment (ISBN-13: 978-1939200273) and 2015 ASHRAE Handbook - HVAC Applications (ISBN-13: 978-1936504930)
Course Typically Offered: In-class. Please check the course matrix as schedule fluctuates.
Prerequisite: Students should have a desire to learn concepts in heating, ventilating, and air conditioning (HVAC).
Next Step: Upon completion of this course, consider taking other courses in the HVAC Systems Design and Control certificate program.
Contact: For more information about this course, please email email@example.com.
Course Number: AMES-40019
Credit: 3.00 unit(s)
Related Certificate Programs: HVAC Systems Design and Control
+ Expand All
1/13/2021 - 3/10/2021
9/15/2021 - 11/10/2021