A "Systems Thinking" methodology adds a new and powerful set of analysis tools
to the systems engineer’s product development toolkit. Looking at a system as the sum of its parts working together, as opposed to a typical linear process, best describes the core principle of Systems Thinking. Understanding the relationship between “Events, Patterns and Structures” provides the systems engineer with an approach that improves and expands the product development and problem solution arena. You will learn the significance of systems thinking through lecture and "hands-on" assignments designed to reinforce the core set of analysis tools provided in this course.
- Definition and application of the systems thinking process
- Understanding the application of a systemic solution space
- Developing and applying customer requirements to your solution space
- Understanding the relationship between growth and balancing structures
- Understanding the relationship between competitive and cooperative structures
- Learn the process of identifying and using a system’s high leverage point
- Understanding the relationship with classical control theory methodology
- Understanding how today’s solutions become tomorrow’s problems
- Learn how to recognize problems before they become problems
- Highly interactive course
- Learning is enhanced with relevant case studies
Course Learning Outcomes:
- The Systems Thinking tools will significantly improve your ability to identify, analyze and determine system solutions that satisfy program objectives
- Your improved understanding of system components working together will expand your solution space beyond the standard liner systems engineering approach
- You will learn a powerful critical thinking methodology that can be applied equally to technical, political, social, and global systems
Course Typically Offered: Online in Fall and Spring quarters.
Next Step: After completing this course, consider taking other courses in the Systems Engineering certificate program to continue learning.
Contact: For more information about this course, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Course Number: MAE-40017
Credit: 3.00 unit(s)
Related Certificate Programs: Systems Engineering
+ Expand All
9/21/2021 - 11/20/2021