Explore Wind Power and Build Your Own Turbine
Developing eco-friendly energy sources like wind power is a growing field with the potential to help us combat climate change. Become an active player in this important green technology by exploring the science behind wind power and engineering your own turbine.
We will look at how the exchange of energy between Earth and the atmosphere leads to the generation of wind.
Students will investigate why some places are always windy. Then they will harness their new knowledge to design and build a simple turbine that puts wind power to beneficial use. Students will also create artworks that respond to the movement of air. The class offers a great opportunity for environmentally conscious students to start exploring future STEM careers that can help protect our Earth.
What You Will Learn
- Gain an understanding of how wind is generated
- Learn why certain locations on Earth’s surface act to concentrate wind energy
- Investigate harnessing wind power as an engineering practice
- Construct a simple wind turbine
- Create works of art that respond to the movement of air
Note: During the first week of Junior Academy, this class is shortened to four days because of the Fourth of July holiday.
Return to the Sally Ride Science Junior Academy website here.
Course Number: ENG-90015
Credit: 0.00 unit(s)
+ Expand All
6/29/2020 - 7/2/2020