Java remains one of the most sought after skills in the field of Information Technology. Java continues to grow faster than any other computer language or development environment. Java is a simple, object-oriented, platform-independent language, that can be used to develop applets, servlets, and other applications.
The Java programming language lies at the core of many large-scale business applications that fuel the internet economy. Embedded devices, enterprise servers, network applications, web servers, and wireless applications are highest among these applications.
Java is widely used in business-to-business commercial systems. And, due to its inherent portability, it is utilized in a wide variety of consumer electronics including smart phones running Google’s Android OS to embedded systems in a rapidly expanding number of consumer products. Programmers currently using other languages are likely to encounter projects in the near future that will require knowledge of Java.
The Java Programming certificate provides concentrated study and working knowledge of the Java programming language as well as object-oriented programming and design. The certificate curriculum begins with fundamentals in Java programming concepts, moves through core Java programming competencies, and culminates with advanced Java concepts and their real world application.
Students will gain operational knowledge of many aspects of the Java programming language, including:
- Object-oriented programming and design techniques
- Files, Input/Output Streams, NIO.2, and XML Serialization
- Java Graphic User Interface development
- Exceptional handling, recursion, and multi-threading
- Evaluation of error handling approaches
- Integration of relational database technologies: JDBC, SQL, and MySQL
- The Java Virtual Machine (JVM) - Managing Object Creation, Execution and Garbage Collection
- Java Networking with Sockets, Distributed Java Applications, and Java Security
- Concurrent Programming - Thread handling and Synchronization
- Representational state transfer (REST) based web services
- A structured curriculum of increasing complexity taught by experienced industry practitioners
- Become proficient in Java language syntax and Java application development
- Apply object-oriented design principles by writing programs in Java
- Learn to debug Java programs using a modern IDE and run unit tests to verify program behavior
- Develop a complex Graphic User Interface (GUI) application
- Incorporating Java-based data access technology to access information in relational databases
- Write, implement, and sustain functional Java code
- Certificate courses prepare students for an Oracle Java Certification exam through Oracle University
EDC Preferred Provider
The San Diego Regional EDC's Advancing San Diego program is designed to address talent shortages in STEM positions. Students of our program will be eligible for fully-funded internships at San Diego small companies. Learn more about the program by visiting AdvancingSD.com.
Demand and Job Prospects
- According to ZDNET.com, knowing this 20-year-old programming language can propel you into one of the highest paid entry-level careers.Learn more.
- Object-oriented development software, and specifically Java, is an O*NET “Hot Technology” (a technology requirement frequently included in employer job postings). Burning Glass projects a job growth rate for “Software Developers, Applications” between 2016-2026 to be 40% in California and 30.7% nationally.
- Software Developer job openings requiring Java programming abilities ranked number one from August 2019 through July 2020. And, is on pace for an even greater increase. (source: Burning Glass Technologies)
- Top companies hiring individuals nationally with Java skills nationwide in the past year include JP Morgan Chase, Infosys, Deloitte, Wells Fargo, Anthem Blue Cross, Primus Global Services Inc., Accenture, Diverse Lynx, and NNT Data. (source: Burning Glass Technologies)
Who Will Benefit
Students can apply Java proficiency to many career paths, including development in Android, Java web, J2ME, and embedded applications. The most common types of students in the program are:
- Developers refreshing their Java and/or object oriented programming language competencies
- Non-programmers learning programming to enhance their career
- Mangers/QA that work closely with programmers and want to better understand Java
- Career Changers planning to join the workforce as programmers hoping to learn development skills
At a Glance
- Number of courses: 4 required courses (5 if the prerequisite course is included)
- Total units: 12 (15 if the prerequisite course is included)
- Estimated cost: $2,875 (excludes textbooks and materials)
- Time to complete: In as little as one year
- Delivery: Entirely online
For more information about this program, please email Infotech@ucsd.edu
There will be a $95 fee upon acceptance into the program