During this trying time, UC San Diego Extension remains committed to helping you achieve your goals. In an effort to help prevent the spread of COVID-19, we have transitioned all of our Spring and Summer courses to an online or hybrid format. Online classes will have pre-recorded lectures each week and guided assignments from the instructor. Hybrid classes are fully online with live virtual class meetings each week using our Zoom conferencing system.
In today’s job market, an increasing number of companies seek candidates with strong "soft skills" to complement their technical skills and expertise. Regardless of the field, qualities such as solid communication skills, self-awareness, time management, and the ability to function on diverse and collaborative teams are highly sought-after. This certificate in Leadership and Teamwork is designed to equip participants with those skills to help them excel in any working environment.
The courses in the certificate focus on leadership, teamwork, and project management. Throughout the program, students will implement these skills by working collaboratively on teams to manage hands-on campus projects. The culmination of the program will include a showcase of the students' projects to campus leaders, industry guests, and the general public. Upon completion of the program, students will be empowered to transition into their career pursuits.
- Understand your strengths, preferences, styles, and areas for development to improve your leadership capacity
- Discover best approaches to make teams work together and how to improve their dynamics
- Enhance presentation skills by developing effective messaging and perfecting delivery according to the audience
- Develop an appreciation for individuals with different roles and responsibilities in interdisciplinary projects
- Learn to communicate effectively and efficiently with fellow team members, direct reports, and stakeholders, who may have different backgrounds and areas of expertise
- Gain an understanding of Project Management tools and techniques
- Practice your newly acquired skills and build your resume while making an impact through a real life project
At this time, only current UC San Diego graduate students and postdocs are permitted to participate in the Leadership Teamwork Certificate. Applicants that do not match this profile will not be admitted.
Students will complete the full program in two quarters, starting in Fall and finishing in the Spring. Courses will run virtually (live online) Tuesday evenings during each quarter from 6PM to 9PM.
Program Orientation: 9/29/2020
Effective Leadership and Teamwork in the Workplace: 10/6/2020-12/8/2020; no mtg 11/24/2020
Leadership and Teamwork Practicum: 1/5/2021-2/9/2021
Project Management for the Collaborative Workplace: 2/23/2021-4/27/2021; no mtg 3/23/21
Fees: $395, paid over two quarters. Vouchers not accepted.
There will be a $95 fee upon acceptance into the program