During this trying time, UC San Diego Extension remains committed to helping you achieve your goals. In an effort to help prevent the spread of COVID-19, we have moved this summer’s Sally Ride Science Junior Academy workshops online. These online STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts and math) workshops for students entering 4th-12th grade will be conducted through virtual class meetings using the Zoom conferencing system and the learning platform Canvas
Explore the Math, Science and Art of Murals
Colorful murals can really brighten public spaces and urban landscapes. Learn how to use math and materials science – plus artistic inspiration – to design and execute large-scale murals.
Students will investigate how various types of paint adhere to different surfaces and will become efficient at calculating the needed materials and costs to complete murals. Then they will work either individually or in groups to create a sample mural. We will discuss how to get permission and permits for final mural placement. Topics will also include funding and grants and how to use technology to enhance designs. Students will discover the value of merging math and science with creativity to produce successful projects.
What You Will Learn
Return to the Sally Ride Science Junior Academy website here.
- Gain a basic understanding of the steps involved in mural design and execution
- Research and create designs for murals
- Learn various methods for measuring and scaling murals
- Use a grid-based system to calculate the paint needed for a sample mural project
- Use the methods they have learned to scale up an individual or team mural
- Learn about obtaining permission and funding for a mural project
- Develop solutions for challenges in executing a mural
Course Number: ART-90042
Credit: 0.00 unit(s)
+ Expand All
7/13/2020 - 7/17/2020