Today’s sophisticated products require ever advancing mechanical systems and components. High-tech companies, such as Apple, Google and Amazon, are looking for mechanical engineers with an understanding of new materials and their application.
The Mechanical Analysis and Design certificate will provide the latest tools and proficiencies necessary for the engineer to develop a wide range of mechanical systems and components. Students with a relevant degree (typically related to mechanical engineering) that complete the certificate will accumulate a set of competencies highly sought after in today’s job market.
The curriculum consists of both hard and soft skills complementing the mechanical engineer’s abilities in component and system analysis and design development tools. The courses are designed and classified to train the mechanical engineer further in the field, as well as coordinating with other engineering jobs and industrial practices.
This highly practical, hands-on program will allow the student to apply the knowledge they learn immediately to their current assignments with proficiency.
- Developed and taught by industry professionals
- Become familiar with SolidWorks, MATLAB, 3D modeling, reverse engineering and injection molding methodologies
- Hands-on comprehensive training in ANSYS, FEMAP & GD&T
- Practical experience building off of existing skills and/or education
Key Program Topics
- SolidWorks computer-aided design and analysis software
- 3D modeling fundamentals and applications
- Reverse engineering techniques including calipers, hard probe, and 3D scanning
- Plastic injection molding, including material selection and part design
- MATLAB for design and analysis processes
- Reliability Centered Maintenance and Consequence of Failure Analysis (COFA)
- Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing (GD&T) practical applications
- Finite Element Method (FEM) using FEMAP and ANSYS modeling programs
Demand and Job Prospects
- According to the U.S. Department of Labor, the mean annual wages for a Mechanical Engineer is $91,500 per year nationwide and $104,030 per year in California.
- Mechanical Engineering jobs are O*NET “Green” jobs (an occupation with increasing demand as a result of “green” economy activities and technologies) with a 5% to 9% projected growth rate through 2026
- According to Burning Glass, top companies hiring individuals for Mechanical Engineering jobs nationwide in the past year include General Electric, Raytheon, General Motors, Amazon, Apple, BAE Systems, Microsoft, Intel and Google.
Who Will Benefit
Individuals interested in being competitive for modern mechanical engineering jobs, spefically
- Professionals with engineering backgrounds, typically in mechanical engineering
- Students that have recently completed bachelors of science requirements, usually in mechanical engineering or related areas
At a Glance
- Number of courses: Five courses
- Total units: 15
- Estimated cost: $4,020 (includes certificate fee and courses)
- Time to complete: as short as one year
- Delivery: In-person in San Diego, CA
There will be a $95 fee upon acceptance into the program