Metabolic Engineering for Industrial Biotech
This two-day course will focus on metabolic engineering as applied to high volume/low cost chemicals and materials and the unique choices and approaches that attend work in this area. A world class group of instructors from academia and industry will cover the agenda in an interactive format with case studies throughout.
Who should attend?
- Gain an appreciation of the distinctive features of applying biotechnology and metabolic engineering in large scale, industrial projects.
- Survey the tools used in industrial biotechnology, and learn how systems approaches – in both biology and engineering – interact to define and provide direction for experimentation.
- Develop an historical perspective on the field, and a practical perspective gleaned from exposure to both successful and unsuccessful endeavors.
- Through case studies, understand the interplay between biology, engineering, and economic requirements, and how both theoretical and empirical approaches are used to move projects forward.
- At-the-bench metabolic engineers and individuals considering entering this area
- Fermentation scientists, engineers, biochemists, bioinformaticians, and others who interact and work with metabolic engineering teams
- Management personnel seeking to understand the unique context of industrial biotechnological projects
- Ben Griffin, Ph.D., Senior Director, Microbial and Enzyme Engineering, Synthetic Genomics
- Nicky Caiazza Ph.D, Director, Metabolic Engineering and Synthetic Biology, Synthetic Genomics
- Jeff Lievense, Ph.D., Senior Engineering Fellow, Genomatica
- Bernhard Palsson, Ph.D., Principal Investigator, UC San Diego
- Adam Feist, Ph.D., Project Scientist, UC San Diego
- Kirsty Salmon, Ph.D., Head of Research, BP
- Kirsten Benjamin, Ph.D., Sr. Research Fellow, Amyris
- Pirkko Suominen, Ph.D., Assistant Vice President, Cargill
- John Pierce, Ph.D., Principal, Devenir Consulting, LLC
- Alexandre Zanghellini, Ph.D., CEO, Arzeda
- Jonathan Moore, Ph.D., Senior Research Scientist, Genomatica
This workshop is offered in conjuction with Microbial Fermentation
during the August 2018 Industrial Biotechnology Workshop
week. For more information, please contact Teresa Grosch at firstname.lastname@example.org or (858) 534-6648.
Course Number: BIOL-80005
Credit: 0.00 unit(s)