Metabolic Engineering for Industrial Biotechnology
This two-day course will focus on metabolic engineering as applied to high volume/low cost chemicals and materials and the unique choices and approaches that attend work in this area. A world class group of instructors from academia and industry will cover the agenda in an interactive format with case studies throughout.
Who should attend?
- Gain an appreciation of the distinctive features of applying biotechnology and metabolic engineering in large scale, industrial projects.
- Survey the tools used in industrial biotechnology, and learn how systems approaches – in both biology and engineering – interact to define and provide direction for experimentation.
- Develop an historical perspective on the field, and a practical perspective gleaned from exposure to both successful and unsuccessful endeavors.
- Through case studies, understand the interplay between biology, engineering, and economic requirements, and how both theoretical and empirical approaches are used to move projects forward.
- At-the-bench metabolic engineers and individuals considering entering this area
- Fermentation scientists, engineers, biochemists, bioinformaticians, and others who interact and work with metabolic engineering teams
- Management personnel seeking to understand the unique context of industrial biotechnological projects
- Ben Griffin, Ph.D., Program Director & Director, Genomatica
- Michael Japs, Senior Director, Process Development, Genomatica
- Harish Nagarajan, Senior R&D Manager, Sytems Biology & Bioinformatics, Genomatica
- Nicky Caiazza Ph.D, Co-founder & Chief Scientific Officer, Cellibre
- Bernhard Palsson, Ph.D., Professor, UC San Diego and CEO, Novo Nordisk Center for Biosustainability
- Adam Feist, Ph.D., Project Scientist, UC San Diego and Senior Scientist, Technical University of Denmark
- Kirsten Benjamin, Ph.D., Vice President, R&D, Amyris
- Pirkko Suominen, Ph.D., Assistant Vice President, Cargill
- Richard Fox, Executive Director, Data Science at Inscripta, Inc.
- Fernando Valle, Biology Advisor, BP
This workshop is offered in conjuction with Microbial Fermentation
during the August 2019 Industrial Biotechnology Workshop
week. For more information, please contact email@example.com or (858) 534-9353.
Course Number: BIOL-80005
Credit: 0.00 unit(s)