This course provides the basic skills, tools, and techniques to properly manage project costs and risks in an environment that continuously improves project management quality. The PMBOK® Guide has provided you with the “what”. Through instruction and realistic, scenario-based assignments, students are introduced to organized and practical approaches to manage project costs and risks, and improve overall project management processes. In this course, you will learn:
- The fundamental concepts of project cost, risk, and quality management and their interrelationships
- How to use best practices and multiple techniques to estimate project activities and tasks
- How to use cost estimates to construct basic project budgets
- Basic project financial and risk controls
- The importance of risk management to both project and organizational success
- Risk management processes, tools, and techniques needed to construct and maintain a comprehensive risk log for cost effective risk management
- Use basic quality tools, not just to measure the quality of project output, but the quality of the project management process itself
: Students should complete Project Management Essentials
, Project Management Essentials in Science and Technology
, or Project Management Boot Camp
before enrolling in this course. Individual exceptions can be made based on previous experience and knowledge. Please contact email@example.com request an exception.
Traditional in-person class meetings at one of our campus locations with access to our online learning portal, "Canvas." Classes typically meet one evening a week, so working professionals can attend without having to take time off from work. Schedules can vary, so be sure to check the schedule before enrolling. Click on the “Hybrid In-class” section below to view location, dates, and times.
Fully online instructor-led training using live virtual class meetings via Zoom or Virbela conferencing systems. Click on the “Live Online” section below to view details of the online meeting times and instructor information.
Fully online Instructor-led training on your schedule with no set meeting times. Lectures are pre-recorded and your instructor will set weekly discussion topics to help you engage with the content and share meaningful experiences. Click on the “Online” section below to view course details.
Note: Not all formats may be available every quarter.
This course will provide 27 education hours. To receive Professional Development Units (PDU’s), submit your UCSD transcript to the Project Management Institute (PMI).
Note: A student must complete ONE of the following prerequisites before enrolling in this course: Project Management Essentials, Project Management Boot Camp, OR Project Management Essentials in Science and Technology. Waiver of prerequisite may be considered if student has taken equivalent course or recent relevant experience.
For questions about this course, please contact ProjectManagement@ucsd.edu.
Course Number: BUSA-40926
Credit: 3.00 unit(s)