Get the Project Management Skills You Need in Four Days
This intensive four-day project management essentials course will examine the basics of putting together a well-defined, planned, and executed project. Students will learn how to define, plan and execute a project whether the goal is simple or complex; gain the tools and knowledge for delivering projects on time and on budget, while meeting performance specifications; explore the basic components of project management and the project life cycle. This course will also help you determine the correct project through strategic portfolio analysis; create a successful charter; assemble and manage a team; analyze and control risk; monitor project milestones; and close out the project.
This course will provide 35 education hours. To receive Professional Development Units (PDU’s), submit your UCSD transcript to the Project Management Institute (PMI).
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Define the characteristics of a project and be able to contrast it with a business process
- Understand the challenges of balancing project constraints (i.e., time, cost, scope, quality,
- and risk)
- Distinguish the differences between projects, programs, and portfolios
- Recognize and describe the PMBOK® project management five process groups (Initiating, Planning, Executing, Monitoring & Controlling, and Closing) and ten knowledge areas
- Articulate the roles and skill sets of the effective project manager practitioner
- Specify the ethical responsibilities of the professional project manager
- Identify those organizations, including the Project Management Institute (PMI), that offer certification programs for project managers and the process for obtaining such certifications
- Develop awareness of factors that impact projects, including leadership, the organization, team dynamics, and power
- Work with basic project management documents, such as the project charter, the work breakdown structure (WBS), the project management plan, and the lessons learned report
Note: This course is aligned with the Project Management Body of Knowledge 6th edition, and will provide 35 education hours, the amount necessary to be eligible to sit for the PMP certification exam. While the intention of this course is to provide a thorough understanding of the project management tools and techniques, and knowledge of how to best apply the tools, it is not meant to be a certification exam prep.
This course is the prerequisite for Project Planning and Scheduling (BUSA-40715) and Project Cost and Risk Management (BUSA-40926).
For questions about this course, please contact ProjectManagement@ucsd.edu or call 858-534-8136.
Course Number: BUSA-40714
Credit: 3.00 unit(s)
Related Certificate Programs: Lean Six Sigma Black Belt, Project Management
+ Expand All
7/24/2019 - 7/27/2019
8/10/2019 - 9/7/2019
10/19/2019 - 11/16/2019
10/30/2019 - 11/2/2019