Program a Network Chat Box with Python
A basic understanding of how the internet works is a valuable tool for many of the tech jobs of the future. Explore the intricacies of the web by using Python to program a chat box for internet communication.
Students will get an introduction to the syntax of the Python language and then will use it to create a chat box. In building the chat box, they will develop an understanding of how a message traverses the digital web from one person at one point in the world to another. Students will also explore how they can make this communication more efficient and more secure. Experience with Python is helpful but not required.
What You Will Learn
Get an introduction to Python and use it to program a chat box for internet communication.
Return to the Sally Ride Science Junior Academy website here.
- Learn about the basic syntax and semantics of the Python programming language.
- Become familiar with the basics of network design and programming.
- Understand the server-client model of networking.
- Get an introduction to network sockets, the gateways for transmission of data between two computers over a network.
- Become familiar with the protocols that govern how data is transmitted and delivered.
- Explore ways to make internet communications more efficient and more secure.
Note: Upon successful enrollment of a section, students will receive a confirmation email from our Student Services team. This email will include a link to an authorization form that is required to be completed within 72-hours of enrollment.
In response to COVID-19 health guidelines, we have restructured our in-person Junior Academy workshops as online courses. Contact us at email@example.com if you have questions.
Course Number: CSE-90046
Credit: 1.50 unit(s)