Unleash Your Inner Inventor in a Makerspace Lab
A makerspace is a place where people get together to tinker, ponder and create. In our Makerspace Lab, students will tackle a variety of engineering challenges and develop their own innovation or invention.
Using a variety of everyday materials, students will take on challenges such as “create a fall-proof skateboard” or “create an all-weather hat.” Art, science and engineering will come into play as students develop innovative solutions. As a final project, students will come up with an innovation or invention of their own. They will gain experience in product design, technical writing and art design as they develop their creations. Then they will present their inventions to a panel of classmates in a format similar to the television show “Shark Tank.”
What You Will Learn
Tackle a variety of engineering challenges and develop your own innovation or invention.
Return to the Sally Ride Science Junior Academy website here.
- Learn to identify multiple solutions to an engineering challenge.
- Strengthen your skills in problem-solving and critical thinking.
- Research innovations and inventions to discover how scientists work.
- Practice product design, technical writing and art design.
- Create your own innovation and present it to a panel of students for approval.
Note: In response to COVID-19 health guidelines, we have restructured our in-person Junior Academy workshops as online courses. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.
Course Number: ENG-90019
Credit: 1.50 unit(s)
+ Expand All
8/2/2021 - 8/6/2021