During this trying time, UC San Diego Extension remains committed to helping you achieve your goals. In an effort to help prevent the spread of COVID-19, we have moved this summer’s Sally Ride Science Junior Academy workshops online. These online STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts and math) workshops for students entering 4th-12th grade will be conducted through virtual class meetings using the Zoom conferencing system and the learning platform Canvas.
Explore the World of Slimy Sea Creatures
Invertebrates like octopuses, jellyfish and squid have fascinating adaptations for life in their ocean ecosystems. Take on the role of marine biologist as we conduct a hands-on investigation of slimy sea creatures.
Students will observe and touch sea stars, sand dollars and moon snails, to name a few. They will watch a squid dissection and write their names in squid ink while learning about anatomical structures of invertebrates. We will investigate the secret of how octopuses change color and how pearls are made. Students will also consider what kind of invertebrate they would like to be. They will test their knowledge by playing a game that rewards those with the best mastery of vocabulary from the class. Each student will create artwork to take home using seashells and other materials from Mother Earth. Slimy Sea Creatures offers a great way to inspire students to pursue further studies in marine biology.
What You Will Learn
Return to the Sally Ride Science Junior Academy website here.
- Gain a basic understanding of taxonomy and of the characteristics of invertebrates
- Observe and touch invertebrates like sea stars, crabs and sand dollars
- Learn what a phylum is and what the features of mollusks are
- Categorize and learn about different shells
- Design and create a seashell-bound book, seashell hair clip or seashell box.
- Investigate the external and internal anatomy of a squid and the functions of its organs
- Learn and practice vocabulary related to marine invertebrates
Course Number: SIO-90016
Credit: 0.00 unit(s)
+ Expand All
7/13/2020 - 7/17/2020
7/20/2020 - 7/24/2020