In recent years, Quality Assurance (QA) has developed a well-defined set of methodologies and techniques resulting in a field of its own. Though QA was considered a sub-discipline of test or product management, the growing need for companies to automate and streamline their testing processes evolved the importance of QA.
Companies in the medical (Illumina, B&D), financial (Citibank), insurance (American Specialized Health), and engineering industry are constantly recruiting Software Quality Assurance Engineers. Though job descriptions vary, all of them require familiarity with software processes and testing techniques, consequently enabling shorter and more reliable test turnaround times.
The Quality Assurance professional must be skilled not only in software testing, integration testing or other testing areas, but also in DevOps tools and methodology. These skills range from writing automation scripts using scripting languages, system and web administration, certain aspects of project management to unit testing.
The Software Quality Assurance certificate will provide effective tools and knowledge for those involved in all stages of Software Development and testing processes such as Unit testing, Feature testing, Integration testing and Regression testing. Students will learn the skills necessary to ensure well documented testing, establish processes, and correctly interpret and reproduce results.
- Understand and apply Software development processes and release management
- Learn testing types, methodologies, stages, and application to software life cycle
- Hands-on experience with planning, writing and running tests
- Interpret data and metrics obtained during testing process
- Exposure to DevOps tools and concepts
- Online and in-class formats available
- Hands-on training with tools and methodologies relevant to the industry
- Immediately applicable skills that satisfies the requirements of current job openings
- Taught by leading industry practitioners
EDC Preferred Provider
The San Diego Regional EDC's Advancing San Diego program is designed to address talent shortages in STEM positions. Students of our program will be eligible for fully-funded internships at San Diego small companies. Learn more about the program by visiting AdvancingSD.com.
Key Program Topics
- Software Development Process (both traditional and Agile)
- Black box and white box testing
- Different stages of testing: Unit testing, Integration testing and Regression testing
- Fundamentals of Software Release Management
- Web architecture, web protocols and web performance testing
- Running web load tests
- Unit test details and applications in Software development process
- Data collection and interpretation of User Experience Metric
- Agile methodologies for Project Management
Who will benefit
- Testers to update their knowledge in testing procedures used in the industry
- Developers interested in understanding the methodologies used in QA
- Managers that work closely with QA department
- Career Changers planning to join the job force as a Quality Assurance Engineer.
- Number of courses: 3 Required Courses, 1 Elective
- Total Units: 12
- Estimated program fees (includes certificate fee, required courses and one elective): $2,875
- Time to Complete: 1 year
- Delivery: In-class, Live Online and Online
- Schedule: On a rotational basis, please see Special Notes here below for more details.
“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.”
There will be a $95 fee upon acceptance into the program
- William A. Foster