UC San Diego Extension remains committed to helping you achieve your educational goals. In an effort to help prevent the spread of COVID-19, we have transitioned many of our courses to an online or live online format. Live Online classes are fully online with live virtual class meetings each week using our Zoom conferencing system. Online classes will have pre-recorded lectures each week and guided assignments from the instructor. We will resume in-person classes when it is deemed safe to do so.
Learn How to Communicate Directly with Clients and Patients in Spanish to Improve your Quality of Care
The Specialized Certificate in Spanish for Healthcare Professionals is designed to build student’s effectiveness in communicating with Spanish speaking clients in various healthcare settings. The ability to speak Spanish is increasingly important in the San Diego metropolitan region, state-wide and beyond. California alone is home to nearly 7 million people that are limited English proficient (LEP). As more individuals who are LEP use private and public healthcare systems, the need for healthcare professionals to learn Spanish in order to communicate effectively with clients increases.
Online options not available.
Early enrollment discount available. Cost does not include textbooks or parking.
Varies by student and courses taken per quarter.
Teaching healthcare professionals to communicate directly with their clients in Spanish improves the quality of care by reducing errors. This leads to fewer misdiagnoses and better compliance with treatment plans, which translates into both cost savings and higher professional self-efficacy for the provider. These methods of improving care results in less morbidity and mortality throughout the Spanish-speaking community. The certificate is for individuals with little or no formal training in Spanish.
What You Will Learn:
- Both general Spanish and Spanish medical terminology in order to be able to understand Spanish-speaking clients/patients.
- How to increase your cultural competence to help you connect and build rapport with clients or patients, and have more insight into client-interpreter conversations.
- Build your effectiveness in communicating with Spanish-speaking clients in various healthcare settings.
- Increased cultural awareness and historical knowledge of the Spanish-speaking world.
This Program Is Designed For:
- Healthcare professionals who desire to become certified in Spanish for Healthcare.
- Healthcare professionals seeking career advancement in the translation and interpretation field.
- Medical professionals seeking to enrich their ability to communicate with non-Native speakers in a medical setting.
- The opportunity to network with motivated adult learners who share your interests.
- UC San Diego Extension academic credit and optional BRN relicensure credit available.
- A specialized certificate in Spanish for Healthcare Professionals which can lead to new professional opportunities in our bicultural and bilingual region.
- Expert instructors who are experienced in teaching adult language learners.
- Pre-planned curriculum and sequence of courses designed to keep you on track and increase your confidence, ease, and fluidity with the language.
- A relaxed, interactive and supportive class atmosphere for maximum opportunity to practice coupled with convenient evening classes that fit your busy professional schedule.
Hear from students
Learning to communicate in a Foreign Language can be fun. UC San Diego Extension's Foreign Language students share their insights and reasons for learning a foreign language from us.
Questions about our classes or certificates? Contact our department at 858-534-5760 or email@example.com.
There will be a $95 fee upon acceptance into the program