UC San Diego Extension remains committed to helping you achieve your educational goals. In an effort to help prevent the spread of COVID-19, we have transitioned many of our courses to an online or live online format. Live Online classes are fully online with live virtual class meetings each week using our Zoom conferencing system. Online classes will have pre-recorded lectures each week and guided assignments from the instructor. We will resume in-person classes when it is deemed safe to do so.
Learn How to Successfully Read, Write, and Communicate Conversationally in Spanish
The Professional Certificate in Spanish is designed for students with little-to-no background in the Spanish language. The goal of the program is to bring you from the novice language level to an intermediate level of Spanish — as measured by the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL) Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI). You will begin with a Communication Series, then advance to Refining Fluency and/or Conversations in Spanish.
Online options not available.
Early enrollment discounts can reduce cost. Cost does not include textbooks or parking.
24 - 27 months
Varies by student and courses taken per quarter.
Upon completion of your Professional Certificate in Spanish program, you will have developed both the language skills and cultural understanding to communicate within a Spanish-speaking environment. The program aims to provide diverse offerings to accommodate the variety of reasons people want to learn Spanish, whether to be able to communicate in another culture, to increase professional opportunities, to gain a new skill and expertise, or to better understand their own heritage.
What You Will Learn:
- Novice to mid-level Spanish language skills, including fundamental oral and written communication.
- Essential cultural understandings and historical background for successful communication in conversation and travel within a Spanish-speaking environment.
- Importance of second language abilities for personal enrichment and/or professional opportunities.
- How to access and utilize tools and resources to continue language acquisition.
This Program Is Designed For:
- For those seeking career-advancement with a professional certificate in Spanish, which could lead to new professional opportunities in our bicultural and bilingual region.
- Business owners or freelancers seeking to enhance their career opportunities in Spanish-speaking business situations.
- For anyone who desires to increase their confidence, ease and fluidity with the Spanish language.
- For motivated learners desiring more cultural awareness and historical knowledge of the Spanish-speaking world.
Hear from students
Learning to communicate in a Foreign Language can be fun. UC San Diego Extension's Foreign Language students share their insights and reasons for learning a foreign language from us.
Questions about our classes or certificates? Contact our department at 858-534-5760 or email@example.com.
There will be a $95 fee upon acceptance into the program