Learn How to Translate Complex Information into Understandable Content
The Professional Certificate in Technical Communication will provide you with the most up-to-date knowledge in the field of Technical Communication. Learn the tools and techniques of technical editing as well, and practice marking indisputable errors in spelling, grammar, punctuation, syntax, and usage in technical documentation. Edit technical writing using MS Word and Adobe Acrobat (Reader or Professional), learn to communicate with authors and editors, and practice writing queries and creating style sheets. Explore how decisions made before the writing process begins can have unexpected ramifications.
In-class options might be available for some courses.
Early enrollment discount available. Cost does not include textbooks or parking.
18 - 24 months
Varies by student and courses taken per quarter.
You will also learn how to examine your thinking processes, such as how you use reason to solve problems, form opinions, and make decisions to improve text. You will also practice identifying key questions and assumptions, assessing interpretations and conclusions, and applying criteria and standards to analysis. Technical Communication is an excellent career for writers who love to help others understand complex information. Take the opportunity to draw on your skills in writing and information design to translate complex scientific or technical information into content that a specific audience will easily understand when you enroll in the Professional Certificate in Technical Communication.
What You Will Learn:
- The basics of Technical Communication, such as audience analysis, usability considerations, electronic forms of communication, page layout, and ethical issues facing technical communicators.
- The tools and techniques of technical editing, including grammar and understanding style guides.
- Critical thinking and practice identifying key questions and assumptions, assessing interpretations and conclusions, and applying criteria and standards to analysis.
- Information Design for technical communicators where you will learn how to write online documentation to address informational design.
This Program Is Designed For:
- Communicators working in every field, from accounting to pharmaceuticals to telecommunications.
- Those who desire to learn how to create a wide variety of documents and scripts, including environmental impact statements, financial reports, training materials, user guides and more.
- Demand is greatest for communicators who have degrees in science or engineering, but there are opportunities for those with a background in communications, journalism, English, visual media, and other fields.
- The program is also designed for technical communication professionals working in the field that want to advance their careers, and the program can be completed entirely online for those with working lives.
For detailed information, please enroll in the online on-demand Technical Communication Program Information Session. Questions about our classes or certificates? Contact our department at 858-534-5760 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
There will be a $95 fee upon acceptance into the program