Biotech is a special breed of business, especially in the start-up and early phases. Whether you are considering joining a biotech start-up or want to be successful in a life science organization, it pays to understand biotech business fundamentals.
The goal of the course is to expose bioscience professionals and entrepreneurs to the life cycle of a biotech company. The format is highly interactive and learning is enhanced by case studies, team presentations and exercises.
- Disruptive innovation – Understand the accepted theory and how to make use of it
- FDA regulation – Pathways and times to approval for drugs, devices and biologics
- Spinouts & licensing – Creating intellectual property and obtaining rights to fields of use
- Financing – Cover the basics plus negotiating investment, valuation, dilution, options
- Biotech business models -- Learn the 8 biotech business models and risk/reward of each
- Business development – Analyze/value the acquisition of a license or a corporate entity
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Judge the probability of financial success of a startup or early-stage biotech
- Analyze the many biotech business models and functional activities for employment or investment
- Assess the match between technology and documented market needs
- Distinguish between an unproven idea and solid proof of concept
- Analyze intellectual property and license agreements
- Understand the current regulatory environment
- Understand and select financing alternatives
- Conceive of low-risk products using disruptive technologies for new and unserved markets
The course is structured, yet informal, and engages students in workshop fashion. Most classes start with a discussion of the materials followed by a group exercise and conclude with a team presentation of a Harvard Business School biotech case. Projects measure and enhance your entrepreneurial abilities, interpersonal team skills, written communications and oral presentation abilities.
"I thoroughly enjoyed the course and learned a tremendous amount. This has probably been one of the best courses I've ever taken. You are a natural teacher and your participatory approach really works!"
"I can hardly believe the class is coming to an end so soon. Nine classes seem to be just the beginning…. we are ready to have a year-long course on biobusiness."
Note: Space is very limited. Early enrollment is strongly recommended. Expect to spend up to 6 hours of preparation for each class. Attendance at the first class is mandatory. A discount is available to current Post Docs. Please contact department at (858) 534-9353 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
All course materials are included in the course fee.
Course Number: BUSA-40530
Credit: 3.00 unit(s)
+ Expand All
Excel To HTML using codebeautify.org
Thank you for your interest in our The Business of Biotech class. This section is full.
To join the wait list* for this section, please call:
(858) 534-3400 (select Option 7)
*Wait list requests are processed on a first-come, first-served basis. Should an opening occur, a UC San Diego Extension representative will call to process your enrollment.