During this trying time, UC San Diego Extension remains committed to helping you achieve your goals. In an effort to help prevent the spread of COVID-19, we have moved this summer’s Sally Ride Science Junior Academy workshops online. These online STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts and math) workshops for students entering 4th-12th grade will be conducted through virtual class meetings using the Zoom conferencing system and the learning platform Canvas.
Learn Self-Care Practices to Restore Mind and Body
Pursuing your goals is important, but it can also be exhausting in today’s fast-paced world. Learn how to use self-care practices to restore yourself physically and mentally when you’re feeling burned out and overwhelmed.
This class will help students see that accomplishing their goals and taking care of themselves are not mutually exclusive. We will look at what research shows about the negative effects of overuse of technology, with a focus on how screen time affects sleep patterns. Then students will learn different practices they can use to maintain wellness while pursuing their goals. Students will discover how to establish boundaries with the tech in their lives and how to take advantage of nature as a resource for self-care and wellness. Students will emerge from the class with a self-care plan to help them cope with the demands of the modern world.
What You Will Learn
Return to the Sally Ride Science Junior Academy website here.
- Learn a variety of self-care practices
- Gain an introductory understanding of what research shows about the negative effects of technology overuse
- Focus on how technology overuse affects sleep
- Regain control of tech and media by setting healthy boundaries
- Learn to distinguish between internal and external motivation
- Gain an understanding of the benefits of unplugged time in nature
- Develop a personalized self-care plan
Course Number: GLBH-90000
Credit: 0.00 unit(s)