Building upon the Introduction to Medcial Writing and Editing course, this course reinforces the basics of writing and editing scientific and medical materials, and provides an overview of the careers available in Medical Writing. Topics include:
- definitions of scientific and medical writing and editing and the difference between scientific writing and science writing
- scientific publications and the IMRAD format
- a review of essential grammar including plurals, correct and preferred usage and jargon
- punctuation, hyphenation, and capitalization
- inclusive language, age and sex referents
- misplaced modifiers
- abbreviations, acronyms, eponyms, and Greek letters
- reference styles
- professional organizations
All reading will be scientific or medical in nature. Specific content to be edited will be exercises from the AMA Manual of Style.
Command of the English language and prior knowledge of medical terminology are essential for this course.
This course will benefit students who are seeking entry-level positions in the writing and editing of scientific and medical materials.
Course Number: FPM-40653
Credit: 3.00 unit(s)
Related Certificate Programs: Medical Writing
+ Expand All
9/23/2019 - 12/14/2019