Turn Trash into Treasures with Upcycling
We all know it’s important to recycle so we can slow the flow of trash into overstuffed landfills. Now discover how to put a creative spin on recycling by upcycling trash – turning it into treasures such as art pieces or useful objects.
We will explore how trash can be transformed using different techniques and art mediums. But first students will consider how much waste they produce and talk about the importance of reducing, reusing and recycling in their daily lives. They will learn the difference between recycling and upcycling and then brainstorm ways to create artistic, useful and valuable products from discarded objects. As they work on upcycling projects, students will be encouraged to take creative risks and cultivate imagination, persistence and collaboration. The class will help students appreciate that they have an important role to play in protecting our planet.
What You Will Learn
Understand the importance of reducing waste and learn how to upcycle trash into useful or decorative objects.
Return to the Sally Ride Science Junior Academy website here.
- Learn to define recycling and upcycling and create a Venn diagram showing the similarities and differences.
- Evaluate how much waste you produce and look at the impact of that waste on the environment.
- Develop a strong understanding of the importance of reducing, reusing, recycling and repurposing trash.
- Discover ways to salvage materials and learn to experiment with different types of materials.
- Create valuable new products and then share your discoveries by advertising your creations.
Note: In response to COVID-19 health guidelines, we have restructured our in-person Junior Academy workshops as online courses. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.
Course Number: ENVR-90002
Credit: 1.50 unit(s)
+ Expand All
8/2/2021 - 8/6/2021