Academic Connections International (ACI)
Are you a secondary school student, aged 16-18 years old, who would like to see what it’s like to study at a top U.S. university?
Academic Connections International (ACI) is a summer 3-week UC San Diego academic and residential immersion program which gives you the opportunity to take one academic course while also experiencing many other aspects of university life in America’s Finest City, San Diego. Study at UC San Diego with American teenagers, live in the dorms, and participate in a variety of field trips and activities around San Diego. Prospective ACI students must have strong academic records and advanced English proficiency.
What this program includes:
- On-campus housing with American students
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner at campus cafeteria
- UC San Diego academic instruction each week
- An opportunity to take various chaperoned field trips to local sites
- Access to laboratory equipment as part of class work
- Guest speakers
- Project supplies
- Transportation to and from scheduled field trips during the program
- Constant adult supervision
The following courses are examples of the specific courses offered during Academic Connections International (ACI):
- Audiovisual: Music’s Place in Film, Television and Art
- Critical Thinking
- Disease Detectives: An Introduction to Epidemiology
- Foundations of Creative Writing
- Introduction to Bioinformatics
- Introduction to Cognitive Science
- Introduction to Electrical Engineering: Digital Signal Processing
- Introduction to Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Language and Identity for Bilingual Writers
- Medial Matters: Stereotypes and Social Change in Popular Media
- Neuroscience: From Brains to Behaviors
- Scripps Institution of Oceanography: Introduction to Marine Biology
- Stem Cells: Making and mending a Body
- and more!
Click here for a complete list of the courses offered during ACI. You will be asked to select your top three course choices. Of the three course choices selected, you will enroll in one course of study for three weeks. 2018 courses will be available in February 2018.
2018 ACI Dates:
- Summer 2018: July 8 -- July 28 (3 weeks)
ACI has no official deadline, but spaces fill up very quickly. Students arriving directly from overseas, should plan to arrive on July 6th or 7th, 2018.
Below, please find the minimum acceptance requirements for ACI. We carefully review the background and qualifications of each applicant to ensure that all students who are admitted into the Academic Connections International (ACI) program have a successful experience. Please submit all admission requirements and documents to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do not submit an incomplete application.
Note: Please do not organize flights or pay your tuition until you have received an official acceptance to the ACI program.
Language Proficiency Requirement:
To be accepted to ACI, you must provide a completed English Recommendation Form from a secondary school English instructor, attesting you have a proficiency level equivalent to an internet-based TOEFL score of 80 or Advanced Cambridge level.
Additional Admission Requirements:
- 2018 Academic Connections International Application (will be available in February 2018)
- Copy of transcripts in English for the two most recent years of academic studies. Students must have a strong academic history.
- English Recommendation Form from a secondary school English instructor, attesting to a proficiency level equivalent to the internet-based TOEFL 80 or Advanced Cambridge level.
- Tuberculosis (TB) Questionnaire, Shuttle Service, Optional Housing, and SAT Workshop Form (These forms must be submitted after the student has been officially accepted into the ACI program.)
- 3 weeks
- Monday – Friday classes, with evening and weekend activities
- Schedule varies depending on course chosen
- This program does not qualify for an I-20, and an F-1 student visa is not needed
Cost (in U.S. dollars):
- Application fee: $200 (nonrefundable)
- Tuition: $6,300 (this price includes all tuition and fees, activities, mandatory medical insurance, on-campus housing and meals in dormitories with American students and chaperones on all field trips and in residence with the students at all times)
- San Diego airport pick-up fee: $75*
- Transportation to San Diego airport for departure: $75* (*available only to ACI students, as needed)
- Additional housing for July 6 and/or 7, 2018: $85 per night (shared bedroom)
- SAT Workshop included with the fee of the program.