Academic English (2-week)
This program will offer in-person classes in Winter 2021, with a hybrid model of instruction.
Who should take this course?
Are you a serious student who would like to focus on developing academic fluency and accuracy in all English language skills? Then the 2-week Academic English program is the program for you. Academic English students will spend considerable time on grammar, reading, and writing. While 2-week Academic English is normally offered to students with high-intermediate and advanced English proficiency levels, for a limited time, students of all English proficiency levels are welcome to take this program. A student’s English proficiency is determined during orientation at the time the student arrives at UC San Diego English Language Institute (ELI). The dates of the 2-week Academic English program align with 2-week breaks between sessions in the 8-week English language program schedule, making it a good program for continuing students.
- January 11 - 22 (January 18 is a holiday)
- January 25 - February 5
- February 8 - 19
- March 1 - 12
- March 15 - 25 (March 26 is a holiday)
- March 29 - April 9
- April 12 - 23
- April 26 - May 7
- May 10 - 21
- May 24 - June 4 (May 31 is a holiday)
- June 7 - 18
- June 21 - July 2
- July 6 - 16 (July 5 is a holiday)
- July 19 - 30
- August 2 - 13
- August 16 - 27
- August 30 - September 10 (September 6 is a holiday)
- September 13 - 24
- September 27 - October 8
- October 11 - 22
- October 25 - November 5
- November 8 - 19 (November 11 is a holiday)
- November 22 - December 3 (November 25 and 26 is a holiday)
- December 6 - 17
View a complete list of all program dates.
- 20 or 15 hours per week
- Schedule varies depending on level and courses chosen
- Class focusing on fluency and accuracy in all language skills. Considerable time spent on grammar, reading, and writing.
Two additional courses chosen from the following list:
- Vocabulary Development
- Listening and Discussion
- Conversation and Culture
- Pronunciation and Fluency
- Oral Presentations
Note: Courses are on a space-available basis.
In the 15-hour per week part-time Academic English schedule, only one additional class will be scheduled instead of the usual two additional classes.
Cost (in U.S. dollars)
- Application Fee: $150 (nonrefundable)
- FedEx fee: $50 (optional, but recommended)*
- Full-time Tuition: $1,200 (20 hours per week / 40 hours total)
- Part-time Tuition: $1,000 (15 hours per week / 30 hours total)**
- International Student Service Fee: $175
- UC San Diego Extension medical insurance: $90
- Books/Materials: Approximately $150-175 (Payment CANNOT be made in advance. Books and materials must be purchased upon arrival at UC San Diego.)
* Fedex fee is not necessary for the part-time program.
** The part-time program is not eligible for the form I-20.
Advisory About Variable Enrollments
Enrollment numbers in our Academic, Conversation, and Conversation and Fluency programs vary greatly from month to month. If our placement tests indicate that your English proficiency level does not permit placement in the original 2-week program class, we may place you in 2 weeks of study in a corresponding 4-week or 8-week program, or we may provide a combination of classes and individual tutoring to ensure a full-time program of 15 or 20 hours per week for 2 weeks. Alternatively, we may decide to place all 2-week program students in level-appropriate classes in a corresponding 4-week or 8-week program in order to provide a program of 15 or 20 hours per week for 2 weeks. When this happens your 2-week program will have the features described for the new 4-week or 8-week program, not the features described for the original program. The tuition and fees for your 2-week program enrollment will remain the same.