Academic English (2-week)
This program will offer in-person classes in Summer 2021, with a hybrid model of instruction.
Who should take this course?
Are you a serious student who would like to focus on developing academic fluency and accuracy in all English language skills? Then the 2-week Academic English program is the program for you. Academic English students will spend considerable time on grammar, reading, and writing. The dates of the 2-week Academic English program align with 2-week breaks between sessions in the 8-week English language program schedule, making it a good program for continuing students.
While 2-week Academic English is normally offered to students with high-intermediate and advanced English proficiency levels, for a limited time, students of all English proficiency levels are welcome to take this program. All new students must take an online placement test to determine their English level before starting the Academic English program. The placement test is part of the required online pre-arrival orientation.
- June 7 - 18
- June 21 - July 2
- July 6 - 16 (July 5 is a holiday)
- July 19 - 30
- August 2 - 13
- August 16 - 27
- August 30 - September 10 (September 6 is a holiday)
- October 25 - November 5
- November 8 - 19 (November 11 is a holiday)
- May 16 -27
- September 26 - October 7
View a complete list of all program dates.
- 15* or 20 hours per week. 15 hours per week not available in 2022
- Schedule varies depending on level and courses chosen
- Class focusing on fluency and accuracy in all language skills. Considerable time spent on grammar, reading, and writing.
Two additional courses chosen from the following list:
- Vocabulary Development
- Listening and Discussion
- Conversation and Culture
- Pronunciation and Fluency
- Oral Presentations
Note: Courses are on a space-available basis.
In the 15-hour* per week part-time Academic English schedule, only one additional class will be scheduled instead of the usual two additional classes.
Cost (in U.S. dollars)
- Application Fee: $150 (nonrefundable)
- 2021 Part-time Tuition: $1,000 (15 hours per week / 30 hours total)*, OR
- 2021/2022 Full-time Tuition: $1,200 (20 hours per week / 40 hours total)
- International Student Service Fee: $175
- UC San Diego Extension medical insurance: $90
- Books/Materials: Approximately $150-175 (Payment CANNOT be made in advance. Books and materials must be purchased upon arrival at UC San Diego.)
* The part-time program is not eligible for the form I-20.
Advisory About Variable Enrollments
Enrollment numbers in our Academic, Conversation, and Conversation and Fluency programs vary greatly from month to month. If our placement tests indicate that your English proficiency level does not permit placement in the original 2-week program class, we may place you in 2 weeks of study in a corresponding 4-week or 8-week program, or we may provide a combination of classes and individual tutoring to ensure a full-time program of 15 or 20 hours per week for 2 weeks. Alternatively, we may decide to place all 2-week program students in level-appropriate classes in a corresponding 4-week or 8-week program in order to provide a program of 15 or 20 hours per week for 2 weeks. When this happens, your 2-week program will have the features described for the new 4-week or 8-week program, not the features described for the original program. The tuition and fees for your 2-week program enrollment will remain the same.