Academic English (2-week)
Who should take this course?
Are you a serious student who would like to focus on developing academic fluency and accuracy in all English language skills? Then the 2-week Academic English program is the program for you. Academic English students will spend considerable time on grammar, reading, and writing. High-intermediate and advanced English proficiency students are welcome to take this program. A student’s English proficiency is determined during orientation at the time the student arrives at UC San Diego English Language Institute (ELI). The dates of the 2-week Academic English program align with 2-week breaks between sessions in the 8-week English language program schedule, making it a good program for continuing students.
Can I use my tourist (B) visa or ESTA to attend this program?
If you plan to come to the U.S. mainly for tourism, but you also want to improve your English, you can apply to this 2-week program with reduced weekly hours. Instead of 20 hours of instruction per week, you will have 15 hours per week.
2019 Dates (click here for complete list of program dates):
- January 7 - 18
- January 22 - February 1 (January 21 is a holiday)
- February 4 - 15
- February 19 - March 1 (February 18 is a holiday)
- March 4 - 15
- March 18 - 28
- April 1 - 12
- April 15 - 26
- April 29 - May 10
- May 13 - 24
- May 28 - June 7 (May 27 is a holiday)
- June 10 - 21
- July 1 - 12
- July 15 - 26
- July 29 - August 9
- August 12 - 23
- August 26 - September 6
- September 9 - 20
- September 23 - October 4
- October 7 - 18
- October 21 - November 1
- November 4 - 15
- November 18 - 27 (November 28 and 29 are holidays)
- December 2 - 13
- 20 or 15 hours per week
- Schedule varies depending on level and courses chosen
- Core class focusing on fluency and accuracy in all language skills. Considerable time spent on grammar, reading, and writing.
Two additional courses chosen from the following list:
- Vocabulary Development
- Research Paper Writing
- Advanced Listening and Discussion
- TOEFL iBT Preparation
- Pronunciation and Fluency
- Oral Presentations
Note: Courses are on a space-available basis.
In the 15-hour/week part-time Academic English schedule, only one additional class will be selected instead of the usual two additional classes; research paper writing class is not likely to be offered during the schedule of this less intensive program.
Cost (in U.S. dollars):
- Application Fee: $150 (nonrefundable)
- FedEx fee: $50 (optional, but recommended) - not necessary in the 15 hours per week program
- 2019 Tuition: $1,200 (20 hours per week / 40 hours total)
- 2019 Tuition: $1,000 (15 hours per week / 30 hours total)
- 2019 International Student Service Fee: $175
- UC San Diego Extension medical insurance: $90
- Books/Materials: Approximately $150-175 (Payment CANNOT be made in advance. Books and materials must be purchased upon arrival at UC San Diego.)
Advisory About Variable Enrollments
Enrollment numbers in our Academic, Conversation, and Conversation and Fluency programs vary greatly from month to month. If our placement tests indicate that your English proficiency level does not permit placement in the original 2-week program class, we may place you in 2 weeks of study in a corresponding 4-week or 8-week program, or we may provide a combination of classes and individual tutoring to ensure a full-time program of 15 or 20 hours per week for 2 weeks. Alternatively, we may decide to place all 2-week program students in level-appropriate classes in a corresponding 4-week or 8-week program in order to provide a program of 15 or 20 hours per week for 2 weeks. When this happens your 2-week program will have the features described for the new 4-week or 8-week program, not the features described for the original program. The tuition and fees for your 2-week program enrollment will remain the same.