Academic English (4-week)
Who should take this course?
Are you a serious student who would like to focus on developing academic fluency and accuracy in all English language skills? Then the 4-week Academic English program is the program for you. Academic English students will spend considerable time on grammar, reading, and writing. High-intermediate and advanced English proficiency students are welcome to take this program. A student’s English proficiency is determined during orientation at the time the student arrives at UC San Diego English Language Institute (ELI).
Dates (click here for complete list of program dates):
- January 6 - 31
- January 21- February 14 NEW DATE
- February 3 - 28
- March 2 - 26
- March 30 - April 24 CANCELED due to COVID-19 situation
- April 27 - May 22 CANCELED due to COVID-19 situation
- June 8 - July 2*
- July 6 - 31 - CANCELED due to COVID-19
- August 3 - 28*
- August 31 - September 25
- September 28 - October 23
- October 26 - November 20
- November 23 - December 18
*All instruction will be delivered by remote learning (no in-class instruction) due to the COVID-19 situation. Open to students living anywhere inside or outside of the U.S. All instruction will be according to the schedule in Pacific Standard Time (PST), so students should be ready to "attend" classes by videoconferencing at various times between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. PST. Students in this program will be integrated in to the 8-week program.
- January 4 - 29
- February 1 - 26
- March 1 - 25
- March 29 - April 23
- April 26 - May 21
- June 7 - July 2
- July 6 - 30
- August 2 - 27
- August 30 - September 24
- September 27 - October 22
- October 25 - November 19
- November 22 - December 17
- 20 or 15 hours per week
- Schedule varies depending on level and courses chosen
- Core class focusing on fluency and accuracy in all language skills. Considerable time spent on grammar, reading, and writing.
Two additional courses from the following list will be scheduled:
- Conversation and Culture
- Vocabulary Development
- Listening and Discussion
- Pronunciation and Fluency
- Oral Presentations
Note: Courses are on a space-available basis.
In the 15-hour/week part-time Academic English schedule, only one additional class will be scheduled instead of the usual two additional classes; the research paper writing class is unlikely to be offered during the schedule of this less intensive program.
Cost (in U.S. dollars):
- Application Fee: $150 (nonrefundable)
- FedEx fee: $50 (optional, but recommended) - not necessary in the 15 hours per week program
- 2020/2021 Tuition: $2,000 (full-time: 20 hours per week / 80 hours total)
- 2020/2021 Tuition: $1,800 (part-time: 15 hours per week / 60 hours total)
- International Student Service Fee: $175
- UC San Diego Extension medical insurance: $180
- Books/Materials: Approximately $150-175 (Payment CANNOT be made in advance. Books and materials must be purchased upon arrival at UC San Diego.)
Advisory About Variable Enrollments
Enrollment numbers in our Academic, Conversation, and Conversation and Fluency programs vary greatly from month to month. If our placement tests indicate that your English proficiency level does not permit placement in the original 4-week program class, we may place you in 4 weeks of study in a corresponding 4-week or 8-week program, or we may provide a combination of classes and individual tutoring to ensure a program of 15 or 20 hours per week for 4 weeks. Alternatively, we may decide to place all 4-week program students in level-appropriate classes in a corresponding 4-week or 8-week program in order to provide a program of 15 or 20 hours per week for 4 weeks. When this happens, the students’ 4-week program will have the features described for the new 4- or 8-week program, not the features described for the original program. The tuition and fees for the students’ 4-week program enrollment will remain the same.